Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire vs Live fire times

BoyGlock

Been dry firing religiously on gun handling, stand and shoot, movement drills for the last 9 months. Usual set up is 2-3 half turtle target mixed with no-shoots , refuced "steel targets" 7-10y away, few simulated 25-40y targets, and with improvised props. Its based on almost all the drills in Ben Stoeger's dry fire book so I believe its prety much comprehendive. Usual frequency is min. Of 3x a week 1-1.5hrs sessions.

In the past few weeks I replicated some of the drills in Live fire and noted that my times are longer compared to my dry par times which I know is just right and normal. The variance is where Im interested in. For drills with dry par times of 2.00~4.00 sec. my live fire varies about .5~1.0 sec. Say my dry par time on Entry on Hi Port is 2.10, my live fire time on it would be 2.60-3.00 sec. My question is:

Is this acceptable variance?

Does it mean Im over speeding in my dry fire?

I intend to slow down my dry fire par times to accomodate the inputs from live fire so my practice will be more realistic. Is this the correct direction I should take?

Or should I hold on to my df times and push my Lf times to be near my df times?

I donot let my hits suffer much when doing Lf. And I donot slow down much to get A hits. These are all relative to my skill level.

Gun is 2011 Open 38s. My last IPSC classification was A last year. 55 yo.

Thanks much.

Edited by BoyGlock

Im more inclined to think my deviance is more on my discretion on which is acceptable sight picture in DF vs LF. I tend to be more lenient in DF so I "shoot" a bit earlier and faster due to absence of recoil and no fear of missing my target.

I guess my inquiry is how much deviation in % of DF par time is acceptable as realistic and serve as guide so I will be confident that my training is effecient and most fruitfull.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I tried to slow down my dry fire times to be near my live fire times. I tried to simulate the vision and feel of my LF. It felt im over aiming and slow but smooth. Sight pictures are almost all on center of available A and triggering is almost perfect. But the slower DF par is not much in my opinion. In my example above 2.10sec made it 2.40 to be near my LF min. 2.60. I think theres something I can learn here. On the other hand I felt Im not pushing myself to improve my speed. What a dilemma!

• 4 weeks later...

you just discovered one of the universal truths about our sport .... slowing down just results in the same crappy hits as before, just with a slower time .....

slowing down is never the right answer .... never

you just discovered one of the universal truths about our sport .... slowing down just results in the same crappy hits as before, just with a slower time .....

Thank you for the assurance.

That's pretty much the answer Ben gave in one of his pod casts. If you haven't listened to those, check them out...lots of great info:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/PracticalPistolShow

You can also go to his website (not the pro shop) and email him with questions. Yours might get answered on a podcast.

That's pretty much the answer Ben gave in one of his pod casts. ......

Apparently great minds do think alike .... :)

That's pretty much the answer Ben gave in one of his pod casts. ......
Apparently great minds do think alike .... :)

I have all of Ben's books and listen to all his podcasts. But i guess sometimes one has to think on his own to learn. Im in my Sr years now but learning and training to be better are my daily goals. This attitude should offset my not so Great Mind I suppose :)

I haven't gotten too much in to any real heavy training, but the dry fire that I do doesn't really feel like it is helping me as much as live fire. With that said, my draw and first shot training in dry fire seem to help, as well as doing reloads but the rest like transitions and breaking shots as I'm leaving from one spot to another just doesn't feel like it is benefiting me yet in dry fire. Any tips for this?

Also, do you guys use dummy rounds in your gun at all when dry fire training? I was thinking about loading some without primers to get the weight to a more realistic feel and color them black so no confusion.

In my case I need to dfire with frequency and regularity for weeks and months before I notice any change in livefire. Also in LF I usually donot expect anything from my DF as I shoot. I just let it happen or wait to manifest itself on its own. Its THEN that I NOTICE it. If I internalized a system enough in DF it will show up in LF without much effort from me. If it did not, it means I need to DF it more.

In transitions and breaking shots, I use 2-3 targets and note my par times as in Ben's book. I focus and work on speed of target/sight pic and shoot as soon as its acceptable then visually leave the target and move to the next target and repeat til the last target. I work on doing everything with the needed precision at speed. I also observe how my dot moves as I break my shots. I want to break the shot as soon as my dot is on MY target even if its still moving or jiggling as long as its acceptably in my target. I notice that these things are very hard to detect to transfer in my LF. Improvements or changes are very subtle that one might think there are none. But in my LF time log it shows a lot of difference.

I use dummy rounds in my DF mags to simulate live weight. I make my DF conditions as close to LF as possible.