Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please Help Me Decide - 550 or 650

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we can't have the kind of powder check system on a 550 that we can have with a 650, might I have been overlooking the importance of such a feature when leaning toward a 550?

Safe reloader will visually check every single case and evaluate each powder charge individually, check every other station, visually verify each step.

Understood but tell me what my motivation would be for wanting to do that manually when I can automate it. I don't have hands-on familiarity with these machines, but I believe with a 650 equipped with a powder check system, the human is relieved of the task of a visual/manual powder check, correct?

The powder check is a GOOD thing to have.

Congrats on your new press! I hope you find as much enjoyment as I am, from the second I opened the box.

I don't think you can go wrong if you're looking at the 550 and 650. I got the 650 for single cartridge volume. My buddy is thinking about reloading - he shoots pistols and rifles, and doesn't shoot a match every week so I'd probably recommend a 550 for him.

Right, I think the 550 will be really good for learning about reloading. I will definitely be very diligent about checking powder charges!

I think you will be surprised how quickly you can crank out ammo with a 550. Not as much as a 650 but it can still kick out ammo at a pretty good pace. Not to worry about the lack of auto indexing, you won't even think about it after you get used to the 550. In some ways it's an advantage as it gives you some manual control if you need it.

I ordered from Brian last Thursday, and by early Saturday afternoon, the press was mounted on the bench.

The weekend got pretty busy, including watching the grandkids at their house and shooting a USPSA match, so I didn't quite finish setup. But I'm 75% done and will be turning out loaded rounds soon. Not rushing anything, making sure I understand the reloading manuals, DVDs and 550 setup instructions. I'll be starting out with Hornady One Shot Case Lube, once-fired Sellier&Bellot cases, Bayou 200gr coated LSWC bullets, CCI #300 large pistol primers, and Titegroup powder.

Thanks again everyone for your input.