Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lowest profile hearing protection (electronic muffs)

I have started my 11 year old in 3 gun. He is hooked. He is shooting a youth 870 in 20 ga. I noticed he is having trouble getting a good cheek weld and thus is shooting over his target. We worked on it, but the hearing protection he is using is a bit bulky, it makes him uncomfortable and rides up on his ears. I can't afford in-the-ear protection for him. What is the slimmest electronic units out there?

Edited by Singletracker

See above. Then on cheek weld ear.. Moldable in ear.... Often available at gun (fun) show. The ones that are professionally fit. I'm with above post that the Leigh's do not provide enough protection! You'll occasionally find the leights on sale or as a group buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few different ones. The Peltors (don't remember model) give me the best cheek weld, but the on/off knob it's terrible. No auto shutoff and i constantly turn them on while in transport. I replaced batteries so many times I just left the last dead set in there and use them as is. I have the HL impacts but I don't get s good cheek weld so I only use them on pistol stages.

My suggestions is to forget muffs for the time being and go to Home Depot and get him a few pair of the 3M safety earplugs. Granted they're a pain to take in and out during the course of a match, but after all...he's young enough he won't grouse about the inconvenience.

As for protection, they're great.... tethered together.......... and CHEAP!!. NO hindrance when mounting a long gun what so ever.

Be sure to teach him how to place the plug in his ear while pulling the top of his ear upwards with his free hand...yielding a much better seat