Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CORE Slide or Mill Pro slide- which will mount it lower?

Punished

In the essence of gaming, we know we can mill a slide for the optic in CO. Now my question is, has anyone come across a comparison yet on how far down the Pro slide can be milled for the optic mounting?

At the end of the day we are discussing mm's not cm's of lowering an optic, but bouncing back and forth from a red dot to iron guns I'd like to keep as close to nil in a change as possible. I will be mounting a Vortex Viper.

One thing you may want to consider is the striker block. The core has a milled cover that holds the striker block and spring in place (under the plastic cover that fills the milled area). If you mill out a standard M&P slide you will have to figure out how to deal with retaining the spring while mounting the optic. Not insurmountable but something to consider.

Pictures below Left - my Core that I used for a couple of years in open minor. Right - my present open major gun, I prefer the frame mount C-More.

post-56380-0-53524900-1440796905_thumb.j

post-56380-0-69550300-1440796936_thumb.j

I did not realize the core holds the striker block and spring in place with the cover. That definitely changes my view point. I was thinking of a slide mounted optic so I can run the same holster for multiple guns.

Here are pictures of the plastic optic cover, and the aluminum cover for the striker block that is underneath it (along with the tiny screw that holds it in place). I think you can see where this might be a problem on a machined stock slide, lots of details here and that adds up to additional costs at the machine shop.

post-56380-0-60956900-1440804564_thumb.j

post-56380-0-53974900-1440804573_thumb.j

post-56380-0-68468000-1440804842_thumb.j

Edited by Bkreutz