Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 .40S&W Recoil Spring Weight?

Livn68

Just placed my order for a FS P320 in .40 so while I wait for it to arrive, I've decided to order a new guide rod for it. I plan to order a few 1911 springs in different weights to tune it for the load and would like you input. I plan on running 40 minor for IDPA and possibly USPSA Production, but would also like to know what weight is recommended for major loads if I decide to do a Limited configuration.

Thanks guys

For 40 minor try a 15# spring. If you want to tune it a bit you can clip a couple coils off. As for major pf, I'd give a 16 or 17# spring a try. I think if you go much heavier than that you'll see some muzzle dip when the slide goes back into battery. I'm recommending these weights assuming you'll be using a bullet in the 180gr range.

I'm not competing yet, been side tracked with shotgun shooting with my son. My Full size 40 P320 came with a captured spring on the guide rod. The spring was painted green, I checked with Sig and they told me it was a 20# spring. I've purchased a gray guns fat guide rod and it came with a 15# spring. The couple of times I've been shooting lately, when I shoot with the 180gr plated loaded with Titegroup looking to achieve a 130'ish power factor I use the 15# spring, fat guide rod combination. When I switch to factory 180gr ammo that I think is a pf of 171 to about 177 I use the stock 20# spring combination. When using lighter Titegroup load and the sig 20# spring, the slide does seem to be a little slower by perception, not sure I've shot it enough to say for certain....

post-58796-0-51045300-1440788372_thumb.j

Edited by usa259

I shoot 9mm and 357-Sig out of mine using Springs ranging from 15#-11# depending on caliber and the load. I've run as low as 13# in the 357-Sig, and it runs fine Minor PF but a little hard Major PF.