Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson adjustable sights issue

Fulcrum

I have two identical XDM 5.25'' in 9mm. Both of them have aftermarket barrels.

Recently I installed adjustable rear + front sights (from Dawson) on one of them. I noticed that at 25 yards group shooting, I would hit high right but at 10 yards El Prez/Blake drills they are spot on.

I eliminated human factor by shooting the other XDM with fixed rear. The POI there are identical whether 25 yards group shooting or 10 yards fast shooting.

This puzzles me. It seems as if the Dawson sights move while I shoot fast... I checked and made sure they are secure and no movement at all. Now I don't know if I should adjust the sights to have spot on POI at 25 yards (which means I will be shooting low at 10 yards at speed), or should I leave it so I have dead on POI at speed shooting 10 yards (but I would hit high at long distance).

Anybody has similar experience before?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you compared the height of the adjustable Dawsons vs fixed rear? Would not be surprised if the adjustable rear is taller than fixed. This would explain why the pistol with adjustable sight hits higher at 25 yards than the fixed sight version, when both are sighted in at 10 yards. The increased height over bore requires the barrel to "tilt" upwards a bit more, hence bullet is still climbing beyond 10 yards, compared with the lower sight set.

If the sights are all the same height, then I have no idea what is going on!

I may be misunderstanding your description, but did you compare group shooting at 25 yards with group shooting at 10 yards?

That would be how to take the human factor out in my opinion.

If you are actually comparing group shooting at 25 yards to speed shooting at 10 for the same pistol, try setting your sights up at the 25 yards.

You aren't going to have much drop at that distance. If I understood you correctly, it's possible that you have corrected for some trigger pull problem you have gotten used to.

Low left is a common problem and you may have corrected for it at speed.

I actually did that for a short while with my XDM 4.5. I believe I helped it with a better trigger.