Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot movement while dryfiring

Flyin40

How much dot movement is everyone getting while dry firing?? There should be little movement but I'm getting some. I'm trying to make sure I don't slap the trigger and keep it smooth. Just wondering how much everyone else is getting or maybe none at all.

Flyin40

Flyin40, I have wondered about this as well. I have an orange sticker that is 1" dia. stuck on an IPSC target. The target is taped on a wall about eight feet away from me. I practice drawing and firing at the orange dot and if my dot drifts off the sticker when I pull the trigger, I figure I messed up. On a smooth trigger pull the dot stays in the sticker easily but if I get jerky I can tell right away.

That works for me but I am curious what other people do.

Dave

Ideally, the dot will not move when you pull the trigger. There are factors other than your trigger pull that will affect things, too. If your trigger pull is heavier than the gun's weight, it's going to be hard *not* to move the gun when you pull the trigger (at least a little). If your grip and platform are not solid and settled, the dot's going to move, too - you may also be seeing the results of a death grip ;) You might also be doing other "wierd" things that have nothing to do w/ trigger control.

I worked on this for a little while, until I got the dot pretty steady - I worked on relaxation (I was tense on the gun, causing it to tremble a little), smoothness of draw (there was bounce in the presentation due to "shoving" the gun out into position - you want it to move smoothly out and stop), and trigger control to get it down...

In all shooting sports people have this concern. There is a phrase that states: "trust your wobble". It is applicable to all shooting sports. I shot rimfire silhouette with 40 power scope offhand. If you think that you can hold it absolutely still you are kidding yourself. No one can hold it still - no one.

Now, if you are pulling the dot way off the target that is another story. Your trigger control and grip will affect the process. Guess what, you were moving the same amount with iron sights, you just couldn't tell the same way with a dot. Use the feedback to adjust your grip or trigger control, but don't slow down and hesitate and wait for the dot to stand still, because it doesn't.

The more consistently you *intend* or desire the dot to stay still, the more consistently it will stay still.

I slap the trigger [it prevents "five-fingering" the gun for me in live-fire] and I just work out the best grip and the best place on the trigger to come in & slap it at.

I don't think it's has as much to do with slapping the trigger than it is the timing of the gun back on target. As long as you can shoot decent groups than it's not really a problem. The caming action of our wrist allows us to get the gun back on target as soon as possible.