Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E3 Loads and Chrono Results

ZackJones

I'm back playing around with 9mm loads, this time for USPSA production division. I did some chrono runs yesterday using two Gen 3 Glock 34 pistols. Both with stock barrels. Loads tested where Blue Bullets 125g with 3.5g of E3 @ 1.130 and Blue Bullets 147g with 3.0g of E3 at the same 1.130 OAL. I usually run a little longer at 1.135 but found the shorter OAL works better when case gauging in the hundo case gauge. Ten rounds were fired over the chrono with each load and gun combo. I didn't do any kind of accuracy testing because I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 17 today and want to do testing with that gun as well. Mixed headstamp brass and mixture of CCI and winchester primers.

G34 - Z (Mine) Blue 125g

Avg Velocity - 1040.6

Std Dev - 20.2

Extreme Spread - 66

AVG PF 130 which is exactly where I want it.

G34 - T (Son) Blue 125g

Avg Velocity - 1059.9

Std Dev - 10.6

Extreme Spread - 36

Avg PF 132

(Not sure why his is running faster than mine)

G34 - Z Blue 147

Avg Velocity - 919

Std Dev - 13.2

Extreme Spread - 45

Avg PF - 135

(I could possibly scale back on the powder but my hands can't tell the difference between a 130 PF and 135 PF so I'll leave it at 3.0g.

G34 - T Blue 147

Avg Velocity 935.5

Std Dev - 10.9

Extreme Spread - 38

Avg PF 137

Hope this helps someone looking for e3 loads.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How does E3 compare to Bullseye, Titegroup, 700x, Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot in terms of smoke, soot, accuracy, cost? It just started appearing around here, but I've got plenty of Clay Dot, Red Dot, TG, and Bullseye; a little 700x. Normally run TG for 9, Clay Dot for 45, Bullseye in either. I'd like to narrow it down to one or two target powders for 9, 40, 45.

How does E3 compare to Bullseye, Titegroup, 700x, Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot in terms of smoke, soot, accuracy, cost? It just started appearing around here, but I've got plenty of Clay Dot, Red Dot, TG, and Bullseye; a little 700x. Normally run TG for 9, Clay Dot for 45, Bullseye in either. I'd like to narrow it down to one or two target powders for 9, 40, 45.

I can't say as I haven't used those powders, sorry.

When you're chroning are you using the same brand of case? I'm not real excited with the spread you're getting.

Nope. I never sort by headstamp. I just load and shoot what I have.

I can't say as I haven't used those powders, sorry.

When you're chroning are you using the same brand of case? I'm not real excited with the spread you're getting.

Nope. I never sort by headstamp. I just load and shoot what I have.

Variations in the inside dimensions of cases from brand to brand will give a wider extreme spread. To give yourself a truer test of a load stick with one manufacturer. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Ray_Z

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but I separate the yellow from the nickel plated brass. The plating adds another variable, and cracks more quickly.

There's a local store that has E3 on the shelf. I guess I'll grab a lb and give it a try.

Edited by soflarick

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but I separate the yellow from the nickel plated brass. The plating adds another variable, and cracks more quickly.

There's a local store that has E3 on the shelf. I guess I'll grab a lb and give it a try.

Let us know how it does. Does it smoke much? Leave crud in the gun?