Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super brass

markm

Mark

I don't think I would buy used 38 Super. The stuff wears out. Every shot it gets shorter, yes shorter not longer, also you really don't want to shoot a piece of brass that was shot 15 times at 1475 FPS at a possible 50,000 cups.

I rotate my brass and eventually leave it at the range for a local guy who likes to pick up brass and salvage it to a local junkyard. He is happy because it keeps him busy. I am happy because I don't have to pick it up the last time. The lower power factors make brass last longer but I don't want to lose a match or gun because of 7 cents worth of brass. IMHO.

A lot of the big matches do sell the brass they pick up

Interesting question. I used to be obsessive at 175 power factor and never would go over 9 or 10 loadings(kept track). Now I have practice/club match ammo that is probably being loaded 10-15 times before being donated to brass picker. When I load I do keep an eye our for strange or worn brass and throw away. I also now mark all brass for club matches to keep from getting other brass. We have a couple guys shooting NON +P Super brass, if you can believe that. That would be very bad with my 115 gr loads. I don't touch my powder measure so my club loads are my Nationals loads. I forgot to mention that the rims can also swell and get too large and cause jams. I know this sounds like nitpicking but you can't have a gun jam and win. Mine hasn't in 6 years but did at the AL state. It was a freak occurance and I am pretty sure it was my poor weak hand grip that caused it and lost many match points. I shoot brand new in big matches so brass wasn't a factor.

I do really feel throwing away old brass will help prevent problems and is cheap insurance. I actually discard my 40 sooner. I shoot 320 and can see the wear and tear on brass with this fast powder.

Thanks for the replys.  I normally shoot Remington nickle +P new and get about 10-15 reload out of it.  Shooting 124 JHP and 170PF.  I was mainly looking for stuff to shoot one time only.... we have several matches a month that end up being "lost brass" due to range conditions.  It's not so bad when you leave the 10 times fired brass on the ground, but when that new batch of brass your firing for the first time is lost in the sand, mud and tall grass, I just cringe, untill I think "hey how bad is this - I'm Shooting!"