Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Yearly Maintenance

I have had my 550b for about a year now, and have loaded several thousand 9mm.

Other than keeping it free of debris and cleaning the hopper every so often, I haven't done any maintenance on it.

Should anything be specially cleaned or lubed at this point? Maybe the main shaft, or the primer magazine?

Any springs replaced?

Do dies need to be taken apart and cleaned if they are working well?

Clean out the primer tubes with long pipe cleaner, oil the shaft with some 30w oil or any good motor oil you have around the house, grease the linkage arms with a needle grease gun, grease where the op rod goes into the primer shield housing, and grease the powder thrower on the outside where it rubs against itself and the fail safe rod system moves around. Just sparingly on the powder thrower. Primer system is run dry, only graphite. No oil.

That is all I do every year or so. Keeps your 550 happy.

We will have a couple of cleaning & lubrication videos up on the Dillon website very soon. Footage has been shot and edited, scripts are done. Just waiting for the voice-over work and to attach them to the video, then upload them.

We will have a couple of cleaning & lubrication videos up on the Dillon website very soon. Footage has been shot and edited, scripts are done. Just waiting for the voice-over work and to attach them to the video, then upload them.

Please give us a shout/poke when that happens. :D