Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Nova 24"

ffgats

went to the range to try my new SN on the weekend, happy to say that it works 100%, shoots a litttle bit low about an inch, the windage was perfect, ( federal Truball light recoil slugs) and groups about an inch @ 25yrds, unfortunately never had the chance to try at 50-75 yrds.

The only negative about it has nothing to do with the gun itself, but me the operator, as mentioned in my earlier post, I am only 5'6" with average reach, pulling the action is not much of a problem, but its when pushing the action back to close.

A lot of experience SN user here cut forearms to facilitate quadloading, which I plan of doing in the future, however by cutting/ shorten it, it will leave no more forearm/space to hold since I cant put my hand on the front portion of the action. also need to reduce the diameter of the forearm.

I have to come up with something, either shorten the stock which I already did by installing the .5" gel pad. Almost impossible here, no gunsmith can do it or will do it.

My 1301 has the same LOP (13.75"), but I dont need to manipulate any action, so its fine, For a pump action, the 12.5-13" is the right LOP for me.

Any recommendation or thoughts is appreciated.

Another question guys, maybe because of old habits,I hold my 1301 ( forearm) firm and apply pressure like pulling the gun to my shoulder, with the SN while doing this I cant seem to open the action ( after firing) like its jam unless I push the forearm a little bit forward. Even when the action is close there is some movement of the forearm. Normal and can be modified? thanks again.

I am not a cool kid, but when I was taught to run a pump it was explained to me that your strong hand pulls the gun into the pocket and your pump hand pushes out toward the target, your trigger finger brings the pump hand back, initiating the cycling of the action, pump it all the way to the stop with feeling, then back out with the same amount of force in the direction of your next target holding outward pressure until the trigger finger calls the support hand in for another vigorous cycle. Refill and repeat as needed. This could all be a bunch of bullshit that is no use at all, but it has worked for me. As for the play, mine has some, but I do not find it excessive, have you checked the set screws that affix it to the action bars?

Tried to tighten the screws but still have some movement on the forearms, from the factory does Benelli apply some thread locker on the forearm screw? just want to make sure it wont out. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I only break any sharp edges on the action bars, I don't polish for the sake of polishing.

You can only open the loading port so much as the trigger group housing IS the loading port.

Cut too much and you will weaken this element. (no need to cut that much anyway)

I have other tweaks that I developed. In simple terms I lengthen the rearward stroke about 0.100"

This mod let the action move back another 0.100" AFTER the shell has been released from the tube.

It has helped me to greatly reduce "short stroking" I know that Rose Action sports does the mod.

I have in the past cut action bars. creating a 2 3/4" only gun but I did not see an increase in my

cyclic speed nor a reduction in short stroking. (at least not to the extent that the long stroke mod has)

I also cut back the shell latch about 0.060". This has the shell captured sooner during loading.

I do one more internal mod that let the action open easier even with a little pre-loading of the forend is present.

I don't wish to share that info as it is not really a consumer mod. And unless you know you have the issue you won't need it.

Mr Kelley,

Can you please explain or expand last paragraph especially the "little pre-loading of the forearm, forgive the ignorance. Thanks

I do all of the same mods as Pat, with the exception that i don't cut my pump arm. Instead, I shave down the pump so that my hand slides over smoothly. The mod to help keep the action from locking after firing, is to stone and polish the bolt catch, where it sticks up out of the trigger group. This is a delicate mod though and it is very easy to take off too much material, causing other problems. In addition, if the gun is fairly new, recoil forces will dimple the shell catch into the back of the bolt carrier over time, causing your delicate mod to degrade in function over time. The bolt catch mod should be approached with some caution... but on the upside, the part is inexpensive to replace.

A must have mod on the S.Nova is a Benelli gel pad. The stock pad is too stiff and slippery, allowing the gun to move around too much in the pocket. Taking the time to fit the gun and adding a gel pad will greatly improve your shooting pleasure.