Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 bolt mods and shell latch mod

craigkim

Morning,

I think this is my first post on the forums here. Anyhow, I just got a Benelli M2 and I am looking at modding it. I found a very lightly used "3-gun" edition model 11024 for a reasonable price, so some mods are completed.

The one mod that NEEDS to be done is that I have got to alter the magazine catch/retainer. I can't speed load ONE right now, let alone 2 or 4. I even removed the magazine spring and still couldn't speed load, due to the very though factory catch. I polished it with a little 1000 grit sand paper and that barely improved it. I am going to get a little more aggressive with it and start to grind out a bit of a "U" shape in it so that the shells feed more easily. I may end up doing the same on my M4, because that thing is a pain to get shells past as well. I have researched this at length and there is a fair amount on the web about it, but suggestions will be appreciated.

Second, I have a firm handle on how to ghost load mod the gun and I may do that, but the mod I am uncertain about is the open bolt or out of battery mod. I have read WHY to do it and HOW to do it, but I am still hesitant and want to know if, other than the warranty, is there any reason NOT to do it? Unlike the ghost load mod, which I will use epoxy to fill and therefore it will be reversible, the open bolt mod would NOT be reversible. Does Benelli invalidate my ENTIRE warranty when I make these mods, or just on the bolt? I assume the warranty becomes sketchy anyway as I continue to polish up the loading port and the shell catch regardless.

Thanks in advance for the help and the suggestions.

I would discourage you from cutting the U notches, as if you get a little too aggressive these are prone to snapping. A friend of mine has snapped probably 3 or 4 of these.

The best way to tune the shell latch is to polish the face as you have and to bend it slightly away from the chamber. It requires some test fitting and loading, but it works and is reliable.

I'd call M.O.A. Precision and talk to Tom about your options on making it easier to load. You can find them in the vendors area. He can walk you through the steps to make it easy to load.

post-55259-0-71755200-1439482781_thumb.j

Sorry admins, I am new to posting photos. I tried to resize them smaller.

Thanks for the advice guys. Got it done last night.

After these mods, it is much easier to load, but still not quite what the factory JM 930 was that I tried. I can now load 2 at least. I trimmed the mag spring to 12.5" past my mag extension. It's comfortable as can be to load on your hand, but the mag spring seems to be the impediment now. I checked the tubes and they are glassy as can be, but the spring seems very "squeaky" regardless. I have a new one on the way to play with.

My load port and latch polish was done with a Foredom and a course red cylinder stone, then white cylinder stone, then 220 paper by hand, then 400, then 1000, then finished with a felt wheel and rouge. I noted that the area of contact on the latch that needed to be reduced for easier loading was NOT in the center of the latch, as others have done, but more toward the load port or ventral portion of the latch. The central portion seems to be more important in retention. Were I to go back I would have marked it with a sharpie and then likely limited my grinding/reduction to that area only, while polishing the entire face. The lifter now looks dull in comparision to the receiver, but I don't know what could be gained by high polishing the lifter really. I may do so on just the most distal aspect near the mag tube?

I think I am going to reduce/polish the latch on my m4 a little as well, just not as much.

Next is the oversized safety and spring kit from Taran.