Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First barrel fitting check list

ihocky2

I am getting ready to install my first barrel in a 1911 and wanted to get a few ideas on barrels and double check to make sure I am not missing anything.

What barrels tend to need the least work since this is my first attempt? I want to install a threaded bull barrel and am looking at Shueman, Bar-Sto and SVI.

I have a good selection of files already, including safe sided. My first question on tools is do I truly need the lug cutting tool from Brownells or can I do if with only files?

My process plan is this, please verify. Check to make sure the barrel front fits in the slide to start with, adjust if needed. Cut hood width and length. Check and adjust upper lug fit. Check and adjust front of barrel fit. Cut lower lug fit.

With any of the barrels listed above, I plan to order one already chambered in 9mm Luger, while I need to finish ream the chamber to adjust for depth after fitting the hood length? I plan to shoot coated bullets, will I also need to ream the throat even if the finish reamer cuts the throat.

Thanks

Hello: The Schuemann will need the least amount of fitting and the Bar-Sto the most. The SVI will be close to the Schuemann. You will not need a barrel lug file for the Schuemann. You will have to fit the lower lugs and know how to do it. Good luck on your project. Thanks, Eric

You may want to pickup a barrel alignment block. This will center the lugs in the slide so you can file the right amount off each side of the hood. Sharpie or Dykem blue will help identify high spots when filing the upper barrel lugs. I think the lug cutter is worth it, but get the .195 size. I also shim the upper lug recesses with some tape so the lug cutter cuts more of the lugs and less filing...but measure your slide stop pin diameter and leave a little extra to file out tooling marks.