Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking failsafe rod shoulder washer

I've snapped the failsafe rod shoulder washer (white plastic piece in pic, ignore incorrect positioning above bracket, just a pic I grabbed off the internet) a couple of times. Not sure what I'm doing wrong that is causing this to happen. Any ideas?

ekfh35.jpg

Edited by G19

Most likely over torquing the wing nut.

Set it with a case in station #2 that has a spent primer in it. Push the handle forward and hold. Tighten the wing nut to compress the spring but NOT completely, leave a little room. I use a credit card and place it between the 2 coils, tighten so they barely hold the card.

Edited by Boxerglocker

Most likely over torquing the wing nut.

Set it with a case in station #2 that has a spent primer in it. Push the handle forward and hold. Tighten the wing nut to compress the spring but completely, leave a little room. I use a credit card and place it between the 2 coils, tighten so they barely hold the card.

I think I had it even looser than that, but will try this method next time, thanks.

mine pops out from time to time and if I don't notice it it'll break. Its actually broke right now and its running fine.

Pops out in that the washer drops below the bracket? When this happens, do you notice greater resistance in subsequent strokes (I noticed that just before the washer snapped), which I assume is the washer being squeezed at an angle against the bottom of the bracket? Edited by G19

I had mine installed to where the bigger part was below the arm and the skinnier was going through the hole in the arm. Kinda like a bushing. I notice it when it gets out as it takes more force on the up stroke(shell plate lowering). Usually thats about the time when it breaks. I just left it alone with the fat part under the arm and keep and eye on it to make sure the rod stays in the arm.

I had mine installed to where the bigger part was below the arm and the skinnier was going through the hole in the arm. Kinda like a bushing. I notice it when it gets out as it takes more force on the up stroke(shell plate lowering). Usually thats about the time when it breaks. I just left it alone with the fat part under the arm and keep and eye on it to make sure the rod stays in the arm.

That has me thinking. It'd be easy to epoxy the washer back together.

Added the "NOT" in my original post.... BTW, the Failsafe Shoulder Washer is a standard part in the XL650 spare parts kit. Good to have a kit handy minimizing downtime.

I've got a spare parts kit and a spare shoulder washer. Just getting tired of breaking these things.