Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS-6 loads

FortyOverUnder

I tried to find other people's experiences with HS-6 and 40sw. Some are for it, some are against.

I recently acquired some and wanted to give it a try in 40.

Down side, chrono broke.

I loaded up some 180gr Bear Creek and some 180gr Berry's to try out.

I did 2 loads. One at 6.0gr and the other at 6.5gr. Both had 1.135 OAL.

I immediately liked the 6.5gr load with both bullets, but the Bear Creek rounds really surprised me. They were much more accurate than Berry's. I really need to get these chrono'd.

So now I'm thinking I could make a minor load out of this.

Anyone have some experience with HS-6 for 40? Please share.

Very good post. I was about to ask the same type of question as I have just acquired a few lbs of HS-6 and I have a few boxes of 180gr bullets just waiting for a new home. Interested to see what the other responses are. I do not have a crono yet so I rely on the data supplied by others on this forum to find good powder charge ranges and expected results. Not ideal but the best I can do right now.

if you can buy guns, powder, bullets, brass, and primers, you can spend 100 bucks on a crono. using other's load data is dangerous...and is the main reason I don't post load data here...

go to Amazon or Midway and order a ProCrono Digital. it will serve you well for years, and is priced right.

for the OP, HS6 is a very slow powder, more suited to use with compensators. I use HS6 for open 9mm and open 40, both guns have comps. I use Tightgroup for 9mm, 40, and 45 for my non-compd pistols which it is better suited for.

jmho

jj

I have used HS-6 in full throttle practice rounds. I was trying to replicate my carry rounds so that I didn't go broke shooting up expensive hollow points. The starting charge with a 180 grain bullets left a bunch of unburned powder in the barrel. It started to clean up about half way between starting and max charge. I don't think you would get a very consistent minor load with HS-6, but who knows.

Well I decided to give it a shot at a match. My rounds didn't quite make major but they were hot for minor. I did chrono the rounds.

My load was 6.2gr of HS-6 at 1.125 with a 180gr Bear Creek. I was shooting out of a Glock 35. I made 157-160pf.

I didn't like the thump that came out of this. It wasn't a snap (flip), just a strong push back. Almost felt like a 45.

Accuracy was as good as I could be. There wasn't any questionable holes in targets that's I couldn't explain. From within 10yds though, it was a laser. Loved it for that...

I don't think it would be a competition powder for the non-comped guns but I do think I could be the powder you throw in when friends want to go to a static range and plink around.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with several posters. The only way to do load development is to have a chrono and actually know what your velocities are in YOUR gun. I really like the competition electronics prochrono. Its cheap and a really solid unit. I like mine alot.