Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning rod for Pistols

Cheap brass cleaning rod. Brass brushes if you can get them. Brass is softer than steel. Get kit at "fun show" for cheap. I have great kit with a few years worth of cleaning tools, mops, nylon tooth brush,bronze tooth brushes, bronze bore brushes brass rod. for multi caliber for $15 . Including bag. My barrel stays clean....... Really only used rod once... For break in clean.

Edited by biglou13

for everything I own that is Centerfire (my .22s haven't seen a rod in over a decade) I use Pro-shot brand rods. which are not coated.

though it looks like none of the three models I use is currently available through midway, since all three of mine have a knurled, natural Stainless Vs. banded, red anodized handle, and both of my rifle rods have 50+ inches of working length.

personally I think for the most part coated rods are a gimmick, If you're using a quality one piece rod, with a properly fitting jag/brush, you shouldn't ever touch the sides of the bore. plus many of the coatings are even MORE likely to pick up grit than bare stainless rod (Brushes should always be bronze, brass, nylon, or similar).

Edited by Detritus