Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Limited mags .40

Chuck Merriam

I am getting a new STI Edge in 40 S&W. I am new to the limited class and to the hicap mag thing. Build myself or buy tuned and ready? Not a fan of guns that jam. Where should I spend my money for the best most reliable mags? Grams, Dawson, Brazos, or?? I only want to do this once....I am getting wiser as I get older (34) :rolleyes: So I know to ask you guys first!

Brazos would be good one stop shopping, for sure. Bob is a fan-freaking-tastic gunsmith and knows how to tune a tube.

You could also buy the mag tubes from a supporting vendor like Shooters Connection (Chuck rules!!!) or Speed Shooters Intl (I've only ever heard good things about them) or Brownells, and then send them off to someone like Beven Grams (Grams Engineering) for a tune up.

You have many options. I tuned my SV tubes myself and they work well if I keep them clean. Beven's base pads are fantastic.

Where should I spend my money for the best most reliable mags? Grams, Dawson, Brazos

You named the 3 that I would buy from. I just got 5 open mags back from Grams. They look awesome. High polish inside and out. Witness holes drilled down the back and tuned for max capacity.

Key word OLDER....but I do now believe that with age comes wisdom....and lumps to prove it! Thanks for all your help. One more question, I see where I can buy tuned 140mm mags....but what kind of base pads can I put on them to keep from going over legal limit? If I put it together myself.

If you buy all of the guts and basepads from Grams, they will come tuned ready for maximum capacity and legal in the USPSA mag gauge. I'm not sure if he charges extra at tuning time to fit the basepads. Give him a call and check. He's a pleasure to deal with. Usually it's 4.5mm with some mag trimming to get it to fit. Otherwise you need a Dawson +1 basepad. The +2 will put you over the legal limit. Both basepads will need some minor fitting to fit on the bottom of a tube. Both types of basepads have pros and cons. Pick what feels best in your hand when you go for a reload.

I know that Mec-Gar is building Para-Ord mags, so why not STI/SV mags?

Also, there appear to be S_I mags available and made by both CR Speed and SPS, though I can't find a distributor. Any leads? D.