Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfo ownership in 2015

Straightsh00ter,

If you attend Friday Night Steel this week look me up. I'll have my Gold Team and .22 Limited Pro conversion that you can look at and shoot it you want. I'm the 6'4" gray haired fat man with the red shirt on.

PS: The gold team is a beast so bring extra hearing protection and a blast shield:)

Straightsh00ter,

If you attend Friday Night Steel this week look me up. I'll have my Gold Team and .22 Limited Pro conversion that you can look at and shoot it you want. I'm the 6'4" gray haired fat man with the red shirt on.

PS: The gold team is a beast so bring extra hearing protection and a blast shield:)

Nick - I am planning on going. I have to be at Florence Nissan at 3pm and will head to Fairfield after my appointment. I'll probably stick around a while, too. I will look for you. I'm 5'9 and a young looking 38 years old. I don't know anyone other than Keith and one or two other guys I met last week so you should be able to spot me pretty quick.

Is the Gold Team the gun in your Avatar?

I won't have a gun tomorrow but will be borrowing Keith's SA Range Officer. I sent my Sig back for a minor adjustment, and a magwell. I suck at planning.... :/

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I picked up a stock 2, with just a little attention to trigger and few little parts runs sweet. I really like the bigger frame size compared to cz.

Do you mean the length of the frame relative to the slide, or the overall width? I have only held an Elite Limited to compare to CZ. I thought it was the grips that made it feel bigger, didn't realize the Tanfoglio frames were bigger in general.

I apparently like a fatter gun/grip.

Service is non-existant, parts are very hard to come by, and there is a reason the top guys put up with all of that.

Because they do not have to?

"Sorry Mr. Stoeger but those are on a wait list so you will need to dominate the next few major matches with another brand".

A friend went from an SP01 to a stock 2, I asked him about it at the last match and he said "I wish I would have kept the CZ, I'm putting money into the stock 2 that I will never get back, just a hammer by itself cost $xyz". Just one opinion though and I expect it is a great gun, forgot what number xyz was but I think it was enough that maybe I should have used caps.

StraightSh00ter,

That's the one. It's feels a lot better being behind the Gold Team than back and to the side of it. I don't notice any blast and I wear two types of hearing protection so the noise isn't an issue either. But, for RO's with just one set of ears, it's intimidating just like any other open gun with a dual comp and 12 popple holes. Since I starting using Mec-Gar mags and full length sizing of the .40 brass, I've fired over 1000 rounds without one malfunction (knock on wood). The only changes I've made to the gun is added a slide racker, thumb rest, Henning magwell and Henning mag base pads with the Gram springs and followers.

Edited by Big Nick

Service is non-existant, parts are very hard to come by, and there is a reason the top guys put up with all of that.

Because they do not have to?

"Sorry Mr. Stoeger but those are on a wait list so you will need to dominate the next few major matches with another brand".

A friend went from an SP01 to a stock 2, I asked him about it at the last match and he said "I wish I would have kept the CZ, I'm putting money into the stock 2 that I will never get back, just a hammer by itself cost $xyz". Just one opinion though and I expect it is a great gun, forgot what number xyz was but I think it was enough that maybe I should have used caps.

I have to say none of this makes any sense to me, and I switched from cz to tanfo. It all comes down to preference. I find part access and cost for both platforms very similar.

I picked up a stock 2, with just a little attention to trigger and few little parts runs sweet. I really like the bigger frame size compared to cz.

Do you mean the length of the frame relative to the slide, or the overall width? I have only held an Elite Limited to compare to CZ. I thought it was the grips that made it feel bigger, didn't realize the Tanfoglio frames were bigger in general.

I apparently like a fatter gun/grip.

The stock 2 is a larger frame than cz.

I have to say none of this makes any sense to me, and I switched from cz to tanfo. It all comes down to preference. I find part access and cost for both platforms very similar.

Interesting. What would be cost and lead time for a stock 2 that was ready to go to matches? If you can't buy them ready to go, I guess cost and lead time for gun and parts would be the question.

I kind of wrote them off after my friend told me it took forever to find his and it was working out pricey and after listening to the "gear queer" u-tube review which made them sound expensive & hard to get right & hard to find.

Perhaps it is a US cost and availability thing or maybe things have opened up or perhaps there are resources my friend doesn't know about.

I got a stock 2, in 40 because availability at normal pricing not inflated. Have around $150 in parts including front sight, tune and polish myself. Mags readily available and good to go. I didn't invest much but didn't feel the need to, actually less than shadow for me. I'm sure I'll tinker more with the trigger down the road but that's just me can't leave well enough alone.

From the little bit I've looked at, the parts for Tanfoglio are almost 2x the cost for CZ (for things like slide stop, safety, hammer, etc). The cost of Tanfoglio guns didn't seem high to me, and they have a wider selection of tricked out guns as stock. So the up front cost isn't bad if I were to buy a gun that has what I want, but the cost to maintain or upgrade is quite a bit more than CZ. I also find there to be considerably less of a selection of parts for Tanfoglio. But if the guns shoot great and run reliably, maybe there isn't the need for quite so many different parts.

I got a stock 2, in 40 because availability at normal pricing not inflated.

I did see at least one 40 available when I was going through my last 'must buy another gun' mental episode. That much gun weight pushing a 40 loaded down to minor would just be cool (for some reason my favorite load to shoot is a 180 grain 40 at about 140 pf).

I wonder if it is a lead pipe cinch that they will eventually be added to the USPSA production gun list? Weird to me that the 9's are now ok but the 40 is not. Production number based?

I got a stock 2, in 40 because availability at normal pricing not inflated.

I did see at least one 40 available when I was going through my last 'must buy another gun' mental episode. That much gun weight pushing a 40 loaded down to minor would just be cool (for some reason my favorite load to shoot is a 180 grain 40 at about 140 pf).

I wonder if it is a lead pipe cinch that they will eventually be added to the USPSA production gun list? Weird to me that the 9's are now ok but the 40 is not. Production number based?

"Stock II (44 oz.)" per the list, does not specify caliber so I dont see how its not approved

I'll take a stab at this:

The Stock II that is available today on EAA's website has a 4.5" bbl (both 9mm and 40SW). The USPSA production list has the Stock II (44oz) which would be the current model, and it lists specifically the Stock II L which had a longer 4.93" barrel. It is possible the 4.93" bbl was only available in 9mm, or the 40SW, if made, could have been a limited production gun or disapproved for some other reason.

I would say a current Stock II is approved for use in all approved calibers.

Big Nick let me shoot his Gold Match after the steel shoot today. It was a blast - in many ways. Thank you, Sir! (And you were right, I was looking at the Extreme guns online).

I was really happy with the SA trigger, and the size of the frame is good - maybe about as big as I'd want to go, but I prefer slightly bigger as opposed to smaller. Something about firing that cannon just made me want to unload... :rolleyes:

I am curious how much that compensator helps - the 40 Major packs quite a punch, but it was much more of a push than a flip. I didn't know how to work the optics so it was hard to tell how easy it was to get follow-up shots on target. Most of the shots were just to get a feel for the gun but once the light came on I started getting some hits. The optic sight (when it's on) does take some getting used to, even if it is easier and faster. I tried for some head shots and don't know that I got any hits or if the light stayed on, but hitting the torso with the light on was no problem at all.

I borrowed another 9mm 1911 tonight, and I shot a CZ 75 at the range last week. The more guns I shoot the more I love my Sig, so I've decided to hold off on getting another 9mm. I am going to concentrate on a 40SW for my next firearm.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

Straightsh00ter,

Once you were able to find the dot, you hit the target every time, and I think your last ten shots were fired in under 4 seconds. The load I settled on returns the Gold Team to the same point of aim very quickly. If you were to fire that load in a non-comped gun, the muzzle flip would be severe.

Take your time on your decision and I would recommend the Limited. I looked at the scores from last night and the Gold Team came out on top of an STI, CZ Czechmate, Glock and other makes.

Edited by Big Nick