Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload practice...

GMyers

I know that on my Kimber 5" I should not allow the slide to run forward on an empty chamber.  I just want to verify that it is ok to do so if I have a single dumby round in the freshly inserted magazine (I leave the primer pocket empty for absolute verification).  If this in ANY way could cause a problem please let me know and I will just have to simulate releasing the slide.

Thanks!

Should be no problem.  You'll cause wear on the gun, but not any faster than actually shooting it.  

Same with dry firing.  And I don't know for sure that letting the slide go home on an empty chamber is really all that harmful, or why.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Ron, what were you saying about the loudest sound at a shooting match?  "click", was it?

• 1 month later...

It jars the heck out of the internals on your pistol when you drop it on an empty chamber.  It's worse on the tuned super light trigger jobs.  I think it's the hammer bouncing on the sear at their engaging surfaces.

The dummy round is good if you're practicing a reload from the gun shot dry position.