Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used 1050 question

I'm currently running two 650s, one with a bullet feeder. I'd like to add an autodrive 1050 to give my elbow a break. Found a used 1050 for about 40% off. Plan would be to throw the bullet feeder onto the 1050 and run it manual until winter. By then I should have a good idea on how it runs and have decided which autodrive setup I want to go with.

Money isn't a big concern but if 1050s are indestructible, then I wouldn't mind going used. Anything I should watch out for on a used 1050?

Thanks.

I would make sure the 1050 is complete. I was looking at a 40% off 1050 but it was missing parts. Adding what was missing shrunk the saving to 20% and at that point I would rather have new.

And don't kid yourself; if the machine has a low round count you should be good. But if it has 700K through it a rebuilt will be near which would be a deal breaker for me as well.

1050 isnt rocket science to tear it down and replace bearings in the frame, if they need replacement. I would guess(I didnt write down the bearing number when I had mine torn down) that you could buy bearings for less than $20, they are just roller bearings, probably SKF or Timken or something along those lines. Dillon claims the machines are good for 2 million rounds before they need a rebuild. If the machine is well cared for(cleaned and greased regularly) and nothing needs replacement, then I would jump on it. Be ready to tear the machine down to nothing and clean and re-grease everything though, no matter what, just so YOU know where the machine stands.

Small wear parts are cheap.

-index pawl and spring is under $5

-main spring is ~$15

-primer return springs are a couple bucks

More costly items that can break are the linkage in the press frame(somebody had a thread not long ago on here where theirs broke), shell plates, etc... Most things on a 1050 that might need replacement are cheap. I would probably replace every spring on the machine just for my own sanity.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked it up. Pretty good shape. The roller wear surfaces on the case feed, shell plate indexer, etc still had some black on them and weren't worn shiny so I figured the round count couldn't be too bad. Everything seemed tight and aligned. It has the new style primer alarm and the powder tube wasn't discolored so I'm assuming the machine isn't that old.