Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is installing a CZ-85 slide stop in an SP-01 possible/prod legal?

SV650Squid

I'm thinking about an SP-01 for production, but I'm a lefty. I'd kind of like to have the ambi slide stop of the CZ-85. Will it fit, with or without machining/fitting, and, assuming I'm reading the below quoted rule correctly, it should be Production legal, right?

"21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts. Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers. The Vanek trigger, much like the Speed Bump trigger, has an external modification that makes it illegal for Production division. The Speed Bump trigger has the travel screw mounted to the rear of the trigger and is visible externally, the Vanek trigger, has relocated the pivot pin about 3/16” above the factory specs, and has filled in the original hole with a black material that is still visible on inspection. Special Notes/Clarifications: •Barrels are considered “external parts” and are subject to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated rulings. •A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun. •Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OFM parts” if the custom-shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns."

I'm a lefty that shoots an SP01 in Prod. I've never had the need to use the slide stop during a match. I don't intentionally shoot to slide-lock, and if that does happen, slamming a mag in will drop the slide. To manually lock the slide back I hold the gun in my left hand, grab the slide with my right, pull back and use my right thumb on the slide lock.

I didn't really answer your question - I'm just curious as to why you 'kind of like to have the ambi slide stop...'

because I'd like to not have to use weird contortions for basic manual of arms.

I guess I need to play with one in a gun store a little more to see if I can do it with my trigger finger like I do with my G34. It's been a few years since I checked one out, I just remember them feeling nice in the hand.

Or just get a CZ-85 Combat. I was just wanting an SP-01.

Edited by SV650Squid

I am also left handed and shoot a CZ Shadow.

I have occasionally had to use the slide release but feel I am not disadvantaged,

I have also left my mag release on the 'normal' side.

I figure that having learnt to use a gun setup 'normally' I have a lot more choice on other guns that are not ambi/reconfigurable.

Rules wise It should be fine. The 85 combat is an approved gun from the same oem. So by all means fit 85 slide release to your sp01.

I have no idea if it'll fit. If it still interacts with the slide and magazine on the left of the gun (which I assume it does) then it should be ok. If I had to guess I'd say it's possible to fit it. You can also reverse the mag release then the gun will be full lefty spec.

You best choice is to contact Troy McManus and ask before you change out the slide. The rule cited above does answer the question. The slide is not considered a "minor EXTERNAL component." Slides are major compoents. I am certain there is an ambi safety for the SP01 which you could install legally.

P.S. The general rule in Production is if the mod is not specifically listed as approved, then the mod is not approved for the division.

Edited by GeneBray

After finding an SP-01 at a local gunshop, I can lock the slide back with an upward sweep of my trigger finger and release it with the pad of my trigger finger. This is how I operate my G34, so non-issue.

I'll be ordering a Shadow as soon as I close on my house next week.

Edited by SV650Squid