Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Safety?

cybrosh

Hi everyone,

I have a 1911 SPS wide body pistol, quite similar to the STI Tactical(2011 frame/body). There are slight differences, but the design basics, correct me if I'm wrong, are the same.

I'm interested in a good Stainless wide-ambi Thumb Safety. From what I understand, Ed Brown safeties are some of the best. THey have safeties for Para wide double stack bodies, and for STi/SVI, Infinity included.

Would it fit my SPS body? Furthermoe, I have tiny "tunnels/grooves" where the safety rests inside, thus holding itself in place(picture of STI example attached below).

THe same goes for my Mag release button. I'm interested in a regular checkered mag release. I shuld get the Para(Wide body), correct?

Thank you for any replies.

Cheers.

stexamp.gif

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind replies! received an answer from Ed Brown.com. The Thumb Safety should fit wide bodies. As for the mag release, they said I should give a try, as they're unsure. If it doesn't fit, I can send it back.

Cheers!

Cy'

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind replies! received an answer from Ed Brown.com. The Thumb Safety should fit wide bodies. As for the mag release, they said I should give a try, as they're unsure. If it doesn't fit, I can send it back.

Cheers!

Cy'

The Ed Brown will not fit. The STI mag release would not even fit right into my SPS grip but it can be made to work.

The mag button hole on my SPS grip did not have a step to the larger diameter of the rest of the mag releases. This required drilling the hole farther through the grip so that the mag release would go in all the way without binding.