Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 FTF cartridges 30-06

Originally I was going to post this as a problem looking for an answer, but before I could post the problem, I found the solution. This is a issue that will creep up on you if you reload large caliber rifle cartridges on a XL650.

For many years I have reloaded 30-06 on a RL550B. But in Dec 2007 I bought a New Dillon XL650. I have been reloading thousands of rounds (Pistol + rifle) over the years. I was really happy with how fast I could do the initial prep stage for rifle cartridges. In fact in 2010, I started reloading .308.

A rough estimate of the cartridge count run thru this machine has to be right around 100K - Maybe More ?

But over the last couple years, the press has developed a FTF (Failed to Feed 30-06) cartridges on a 1 out of 20 pieces of brass (Whether reloading or preparing brass).

So 30 days ago, my 30-06 reloaded rounds had hit a real low, so I decided that over the last 3 years I accumulated enough Projectiles + Brass + Powder + Primers to reload a large batch of ammo. But over the last year loading up test rounds, I experienced many FTF's whether doing .308 or 30-06. When loading rounds, FTF's were beginning to be a BIG issue in productivity.

So I decided to just PRIME the 5,000 rounds that I plan on reloading. After about 3,000 rounds, the FTF's really started to get to me. What happens can be seen in the Pic below.

9v8lqq.jpg

The Round would hang on the down stroke for insertion into the Case Feeding assembly.

So I decided to call the Dillon Help line. They were really helpful and sent me out some parts ( New Case feed Bushing + Case Feed adapter ).

I tried the new parts for 1 day, and the failure rate of FTF's remained the same. So last week I made a trip to the Dillon store. I explained the problem, They did come up with a solution. It did fix my problem, but for everybody and Dillon If your Case Feed Arm becomes really worn, as in the Pic Below:

2emjy49.jpg

Your longer rifle cases will get hung up. It has to do with how sharp the edge of the case feed arm is. The new one that I installed, has not had a FTF for 500 rounds now. I think it has to do with how sharp the arm moves out of the way dragging the cartridge with it. I noticed if I move the handle up very slowly with the new arm, I can dup the problem. Note this never happens with pistol rounds.

So. I had searched this forum for this type of problem but never found any good responses. I hope this will help somebody in the future.

I wore out a primer indexer due to lack of grease and a high round count. I'm much more careful now.

I don't think grease would help that one, though!

Lubrication was not a problem on this one. That part always got a coat of grease before use. Things wear. The problem was the gradual degrading of the case feeding process over time. I do 3 rifle + 4 pistol calibers. You don't notice the problem other than in the beginning it was very intermittent, and since it doesn't effect cartridges that are shorter in length you really don't notice it until your into it. I haven't reloaded any 30-06 (other than some test loads for working up new loads) in the last 2 years, I did remember having issues with the case feeder before I started this batch of 30-06. I decided to just prime the cases. Means a lot less to worry about. But after after doing another 2,000 rounds, the cartridge hangs were getting worse. What was hard to understand is that with a new part, the cases swing out rather quickly from the Case feed adapter, while the rounded (worn) version moves the case at a much slower pace and causes the cases to hang as pictured.

I always learn something new everytime I use this machine.