Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

light target/target/heavy target loads

Hi guys still new to this. I've been laying in ammo supplies (haven't we all?) My first two matches I just used bulk pack 7.5 shot (matches are limited to 7.5). Started to pay more attention to ammo and see there are options for light or heavy or just "target" . Are these variables based on powder loads? Is one a better choice for different scenarios?

A lot depends on what works your gun.

I use rated velocity and shot weight as a gauge of light, standard, heavy, & hot target loads. Rated Dram Equivalent (DE) can also be considered. Google Dram Equivalent to learn what it is and why it’s not a great indicator.

Changing the shot weight & keeping the same DE changes the velocity. You can get 1200 fps with 2 ¾ DE & 1 oz of shot, but to get the same 1200 fps with 1 1/8 oz of shot you typically see 3 DE. There is also a Handicap (HDCP) DE designation for hotter 1 1/8 oz. trap loads that aren’t supposed to exceed 1290 fps.

2 ½ - 2 ¾ DE

3 DE

3 ¼ DE.

1145-1150 fps

1200 fps

1235-1250 fps

1300 fps

7/8 oz.

1 oz.

1 1/8 oz.

The hotter, high end Sporting Clays stuff (STS & AA) is generally in the 1300 fps., 1 1/8 oz., 3+ DE range and will run most any gas or spring gun. They’re also harder on you and your gun.

Most WallyWorld Federal bulk pack is labeled the same as Winchester AA Heavy Target; 1200 fps., 3 DE, 1 1/8 oz.

1 1/8oz, 3DE @ 1200fps is pretty common target ammo. The bulk of my handloads are light 1 oz., 2 ¾ DE 1200-1250 fps. for aerial clays, but these are for break open guns where I might fire 300-400 a day. Until you get the hang of all this nomenclature, 1 1/8oz, 3DE, 1200fps “Target” ammo will probably serve 96+% of your needs. The other 4% will probably be slugs. J

HTH

For basic, non-spinner, targets:

I typically use 1145fps 1-1/8oz shells in 7.5 and 9 size shot. The 7.5's are for 90% of all targets, and the 9's are for 3GN style stages that have an abundance of static clays with a diffusion choke. I keep some 1300fps 1-1/8oz 7.5's for heavier steel targets, and some 1300fps 1-1/8oz 9's for flying clays. I can use the 1145fps 7.5's in conjunction with a Diffusion, Light Mod, or Improved Mod choke depending on how heavy, far, and tightly packed targets are presented on that stage. Currently, I buy heavy during the Winchester AA rebate promotion and stock up on cases depending on the ammo I intend to be using. Right now, I have 11 cases of AA's sitting, 1 case is 1145fps 9's, 1 case of 1300fps 9's, 1 case of 1300fps 7.5's, and 8 cases of 1145fps 7.5's. I will probably have a decent amount of all but the 1145fps 7.5's at the beginning of next season.

Wow, that made my head swim! Wally World Federal 3 DRAM 1 1/8 ounce 7.5 or 8. Choke up a bit if it is "far".....all this if it is far I use X if it is hard I use X..... too much crap!!!

The slick-hulled AA's and STS's are easier to load as quads, also. The difference in diameter between the ribbed Fed bulk pack and the AAs gave some of my quad caddies a bit of a problem too, so I just shoot all AAs and stock up at rebate time. Otherwise, like Kurt said, the fed bulk pack stuff is awesome.

The Universal bulk packs are about the worst shotgun shells I've used to date, followed by the Remington bulk packs, and the Federal bulk packs are ok for practice and club matches. I don't trust them for a match I paid $175-400 to shoot tho.

The STS's, AA's, and Federal Premium shells have nicer hulls and better crimps, and have always run as close to 100% as possible for me. I only have a few different types of shells to try and get an smidgen of an advantage when it might be possible, otherwise I would shoot nothing but Winchester/Remington/Federal 1145fps 7.5's with better hulls.