Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primers Seating Deeper on One Side

I load Federal primers in 9mm due to a light sprung gun. After ensuring that the primer is seated, I seat deeply as possible by leaning into the handle. I don't like the term "crush" seat but that's what I'm doing to ensure primers are as deep as possible.

One side of the primer gets seated deeper than the other. Does anyone know what's causing this uneven seating? I don't think it was happening before.

This comes from the way the shell is held by the plate. You have one whole side of the shell that is unsupported or not caught and held down by the shell plate. When hard seating primers it causes the shell to lean inward. The primer is fully seated but at maximum pressure the shell is sitting slightly cocked in the shell plate so the primer is crushed slightly more on one side, the side leaning in.

I don't load on a 650 but get the same thing from time to time on my press. Most primers are evenly seated but you can easily see some that are not totally uniform. They always go bang even running a lighter striker spring.

This comes from the way the shell is held by the plate. You have one whole side of the shell that is unsupported or not caught and held down by the shell plate. When hard seating primers it causes the shell to lean inward. The primer is fully seated but at maximum pressure the shell is sitting slightly cocked in the shell plate so the primer is crushed slightly more on one side, the side leaning in.

Nailed it. Thanks.