Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson base pads

crovello

I just got my Dawson base pads in for my STI. When I first got the STI several weeks ago I noticed that the mags for the STI looked like my Para mags at the base of them. Just for kicks I tried putting my Dawson base pads on them. They fit but the bottom of the base pads sat at an angle compared to the STI base pad. About 8 to 10 degrees off. I figured this would not function well and ordered new ones for my STI. I got them today and they are the same thing as my Para bases. Did they send me the correct thing? Does the spring work well compressing against the angled base pad?

I like the Dawson base pads. They go on and off so easily and they look great. But my first concern in function.

Dave

The Dawson basepads for Para are the same ones that Dawson uses for the S*I "Just Right" kit. They will work but you will likely need more parts to get them to run well. It sounds like the ones that you just got are also for the para tubes. The S*I pads should be square and not angled. If your first concern is perfect functioning, then go back and get the +1 or +2 pads for S*I. The guys at Dawson are always happy to help you get it right. You might want to call them.

I jsut got an E-mail back from Dawson. They tell me that they use the Para base pads for STI mags to gain the extra capacity. They said to make sure to use the plastic insert and it will work fine. We shall see.

I had a hard time getting their springs on to my followers. I think I will order followers from Grams. They look like they would work well. Has anyone used them?

Dave

I use the Dawson pads with Bevans springs and followers and no inserts. Bevans springs are stiffer and seem a little wider which prevents the follower from rolling over. I never could get those inserts to work with out them getting mangled and tied up on the spring. On the big stick I use Bevans pad and get an extra round. 29+1 is a beatiful thing.

40AET, Thanks for the info. I am ordering Grams followers now. I have heard nothing but good reviews on them

I was on the Grams web page and they have the followers and springs together. Can you buy just followers or do they work only on their springs?

Chriss, Where do you get Bevan stuff? Do they have their own page? I would like to check them out. I love Dawson stuff but those plastic inserts don't look like they will perform well. I was thinking that the spring will get cought on them sooner or later.

Thanks,

Dave