Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One of the guys brought up a very valid point. If you ever use it you won't see the gun for a very long time. I'll have to take that into consideration.

A good point. I have to admit that was a factor in my recently switching from the $3,200 Wilson gun or the $2,500 Les Baer for carry, to the G34 that Glock sold me for 336 bucks plus tax.

The good news is that, after the police confiscate your gun as evidence in a shooting, assuming the grand jury gives you a clean bill of health - and assuming you live in a part of the country where free men are still free - you'll get the gun back. Put who wants the (possible) putz in the police evidence room laying his greasy meat hooks all over your beautiful 1911, dropping the slide on an empty chamber, lowering the hammer with his thumb (dragging the hammer hooks over the sear), etc. for months until you get your gun back? Not I sayeth the gunwriter. :o

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still strongly feel that the best platform for someone who's not going to practice frequently...

...is a pointy stick.

( :D:D:D )

I'm not sure you can trust 'em that far, even :D

Still - I've had a few people ask me what they should get for carry. I go through my spiel on the need to practice (and from a holster, reloads, etc). I ask 'em if they are going to practice, and at what frequency, and if they'll actually *use* the thing if it came down to it. I've told one or two that a gun wasn't right for them. The rest I've invariably told to buy a revolver. Not *ONE* of them has taken my advice :D :D :D They all bought autos of some sort.... I should stop giving out advice - I'd have a higher success rate!!!

• 1 month later...

I went on a rant a month or two back in a similar thread and was politely told to knock it off, sooooo..... no more ranting here.

G27, 180 grn Gold Dot. Cheap, (it's gonna be a long time before you get your gun back in super-liberal Milwaukee County,) utterly reliable, as simple as can be (for simpletons like me) accurate enough for 99.9% of any defensive situations you may find yourself in.

I have a friend who knows a guy who carries with the chamber of his 1911 unloaded so he can have the acoustic effect of chambering a round. I don't know him personally but suspect another mall ninja. Considering he is reputed to carry a brace of 1911s, a shorty and a full size, in a two gun small of the back custom rig, the suspicions may be confirmed. :ph34r:

For myself I carry a Glock 19 most of the time and usually have a 38 or 357 revolver as a backup. Both guns are chamber loaded. (The revolver has all the chambers loaded even. :) )

John