Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with A USA brass. Just me?

7kings

Pretty sure this is Armscor brass, but whatever it is, it seems to be consistently out of spec. Every other brand I've run into gauges without problem, but it seems like this headstamp is a regular troublemaker, rarely plunking obediently into the case gauge.

Anyone else having these issues with A USA brass?

Man, that really hurt. I went through all my .45 brass last night and today and culled all the A USA brass. I must have lost at least 300 cases to the trashcan, but at least I know that they won't be able to hurt anyone ever again! :roflol:

I know that 300 cases isn't a lot to most folks here, but I'm just starting to load .45, so it represented a decent percentage of my inventory!

Man, that really hurt. I went through all my .45 brass last night and today and culled all the A USA brass. I must have lost at least 300 cases to the trashcan, but at least I know that they won't be able to hurt anyone ever again! :roflol:

I know that 300 cases isn't a lot to most folks here, but I'm just starting to load .45, so it represented a decent percentage of my inventory!

Don't trash 'em! Save that stuff and sell it for scrap brass along with your fired primers. There's money there in that stuff!

Sorry, I was being dramatic. Not literally a trashcan - a bucket in my garage with a bunch of other recyclables. Basically, I was just lamenting the loss of what I had considered to be good .45 brass.

Don't trash 'em! Save that stuff and sell it for scrap brass along with your fired primers. There's money there in that stuff!

I am getting a fat bucket going, what is the scrap value, or how much do you end up making when you scrap it?

About $1.50 a pound, brass and primers, seems to be the rate reported lately. Check around if there is more than one scrap dealer in your vicinity, they all seem to differ a little in their prices.

I can't say I've ever noticed a problem with that brass in 45 acp. Then again I usually duplicate the Winchester white box stuff so it might not be to the pressures some of the rest of you guys are loading.

I can't say I've ever noticed a problem with that brass in 45 acp. Then again I usually duplicate the Winchester white box stuff so it might not be to the pressures some of the rest of you guys are loading.

This was with once-fired brass that I shot myself from factory ammo, so it hadn't been reloaded previously. I will say that I was able to take some unfired Armscor ammo and it plunked just fine, so I'm wondering if the factory loads are too much for whatever grade of brass they're using, causing some sort of distortion that isn't corrected with the sizing die...

This was with once-fired brass that I shot myself from factory ammo, so it hadn't been reloaded previously. I will say that I was able to take some unfired Armscor ammo and it plunked just fine, so I'm wondering if the factory loads are too much for whatever grade of brass they're using, causing some sort of distortion that isn't corrected with the sizing die...

You know I didn't think of it that way but it's an interesting thought.

I didn't care enough to check the case measurements on these discarded cases, but I think I'm going to put some calipers on a couple to see if I can identify exactly what the issue is (mostly out of curiosity - if it's nothing that a resizing die is going to fix, they're no use to me).