Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable match ammo

OK, you convinced me to go the way of the reloader, but saving the money for the equipment is slow go, especially when I’m still buying factory ammo to shoot.  I have been able to find S&B 9mm 115 gr. FMJ ammo for about $100 per thousand.  This is good for practice, but I shot my first steel match last month and the results were less than impressive (granted a lot of that was me).  While at the range last week, a fellow shooter let me try some Federal 147 gr. match ammo.  I have always been wary of 147 gr. bullets in the 9mm from posts on other forums, but this stuff shot great!  It was a lot better than the S&B, but it was 4 times as much!  I have another steel match coming up this weekend and I wanted to ask you all if you know of any good factory match ammo that won’t break me…you know, the best bang for the buck ;o)  Anyway, I’m still trying to save for my XL 650, but I also want some half way decent ammo for my monthly matches.  Any help is appreciated.

Hard to beat CCI Blazer at @ $3.98 a box of 50, 115 grain, good quality ammo.... and more accurate than you might think (at least in my Glock... your results may vary!) - @ $80 per thousand.

And 9mm once fired brass is so cheap you can always buy some later for loading purposes, when you get the 650 running.

$3.98 per box of CCI Blazers is impressive.  The best I have found them locally is at Acadmy for between $6-7 (still not bad).  On the web it's not much better.  Where are you finding it?  Also, aren't the CCI Blazers loaded a little hot?

kvfelton,

I know you won't like my answer, but I think you should stick with the S&B and accept the compromise.  The 115gr is going to feel a little "snappier" than the 147gr - which I'm guessing is the "accuracy" difference that you're seeing.  I really doubt that a lot of the accuracy difference is due to some dramatic manufacturing difference between S&B and Federal.  S&B has always ran well for me.  The S&B cases reload well, so if you save your brass you'll be ahead of the game with cases of known origin.  You simply won't get better deal than the S&B at $5 a box.  

Stick with it.  The grass isn't that much greener...

E

I find Blazer 9mm at Academy and Oshaman's here in the Dallas, TX area for under $4.00 a box, everyday price.

And yes, Blazer 9mm is kinda "hot" compared to weaker 125 PF load. But its more than acceptable.

And until you shoot some in YOUR gun, don't discount the accuracy of Blazer - its been my expereince that IPSC/IDPA does not require Bullseye accuracy - unless you are an amazing shooter, most of our accuracy problems are probably shooter induced, not ammo related.  :)

• 1 month later...

Sounds like what you seek is a cheap factory 147 because you tried a 147 load that was more accurate than cheap 115s in your gun.  Why was it more accurate? Was it the feel of a 147 over a 115 perhaps? I can appreciate that; the heavier bullets seem to push more than snap upon recoil and that can lead to less flinch. You decide.

As for cheap factory9mm 147s, I see 4 possible loads:

1) Federal Am. Eagle 147

2) UMC (Remington) Yellow Box 147

3) Win. white box 147

4) Russian Silver Bear (Note: see below!!)

Now, the Russian stuff has a chrome-plated case. Under the chrome, there is a berdan primed STEEL case.  Everybody knows the Russian steel cased ammo will wear out your gun lickity-split right?!?! Wrong. It's mild steel and about as soft (or softer) than some brass; it all depends on the alloy and heat treatment.  Besides, chrome is far more hard than brass or steel yet no one seems worried about chromed  brass cases so why the paranoia about steel?? Back in the day we shot and reloaded WWII surplus .45 steel cases all the time; no, our extractors did not break off every other shot - that was an old wives tale. But I digress. Anyway, buy one of the 1st three loads listed; the Russian stuff is loaded too hot.