Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot mount for Versa Max

DA45acp

Wanting to put a red dot on my Versamax but cant find a mount to go on the receiver. Any one know of one available? Not wanting to rail mount but to direct mount a dot to it.

I recently had this same issue. I thought about modifying a Burris SpeedBead (Benelli M2 version) to fit - an approach that works OK with the factory stock - but decided to use the factory Picatinny rail with a FastFire Picatinny mount instead. I run a Mesa Tactical Urbino pistol grip stock with a riser cheekpiece to put my eye in the right orientation while maintaining a solid cheek weld:

Stealth%20VersaMax_zpslyqangiv.jpg

Stealth%20VM%20Optic%20amp%20Cheekpiece_

I modified a M2 (I think) speedbead mount for my VM. Needed a bit of work to get everything going properly. Very much worth it though for me.

Things to keep in mind. You either have to run a speedbead to keep the sight in line with the rail, or run a high comb stock like stealthyblagga to account for the high sight height over the receiver.

2015-5-1%20005.jpg

Ando, do you have any issues with the mount moving? I have one on my SX3 I can't seem to keep consistent. Any tips?

That can be a concern with the SpeedBead on the VM, due to the rubberized flexible stock-receiver interface. It's another reason I went with the Picatinny rail approach instead. I installed the rail and optic with blue Loctite... seems to be holding OK.

Thanks Stealthy. I wonder if a person could rig up a reverse gooseneck mount to use the screws on the receiver, but also have the red dot closer to the standard bead? It would be similar to the ones on an old A1/A2 carry handle, but it would put the scope behind the receiver instead of infront.

Ando, do you have any issues with the mount moving? I have one on my SX3 I can't seem to keep consistent. Any tips?

Sorry, didn't check back sooner.

Yeah there is rubber under the speedbead mount area where the mount's adjustment bolt is. I had to place a cut piece of aluminum in there to provide for a solid spot for the adjustment bolt to fit. Works very nicely now, but the rubber is chewed up and doesn't look pretty anymore. If you pull the stock off gonna have to rezero.

Thanks, I pulled mine apart and it looks like my stock interfered with the mount so I filed it down. I will need to buy a longer 8-32 adjustment screw as mine is already almost bottomed out.