Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide porting

olp73

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and the pistol shooting sports. I found out that there are a couple of places close by that do the IPSC shoots and I decided that it would make a fun new hobby while maybe helping to improve my gun handling skills.(I come from a shotgun and bench rest rifle background). I originally decided I would shoot in the Limited 10 division because I was going to purchase a Les Baer Premier II and that is the class it would fit in, however, after talking to several gunsmiths about pistol choices most of them have tried to sway me toward the double stack STI so that I would have a gun that could be shot in both Limited 10 and Limited competitively. Once I decided to go the custom built STI route I was then faced with the slide lightening issue. To tell you the truth I am so confused right now I don't know what I am going to do :wacko: . Noone that I have seen shoot locally has a lightened slide gun that I can try, so I think I will probably start out with a non lightened slide, who knows???

mpolans originally posted...

Someone refresh my memory...what was the purpose of creating limited/standard class again?

spook then posted...

To create a division without comps and optics?

mpolans then followed with...

Okay...just as long as it wasn't supposed to be a cost reducing measure.

I have been involved in motorsports racing of all types,(boat, stock car, dragsters, motorcyles, mud drags) and in my experience any time there is a "limited" type class designed in the hopes of reducing costs it almost always has the opposite effect. Competiters will instead spend even more money trying to make a "Limited" class product run it's absolute best. When you are "limited" in the modifications you can make you have to spend more money and time trying to eek out every last bit of performance available, and it costs more to do this than it does to just bolt on an unlimited array of parts. An example of this is the Pro Stock division in the NHRA drag racing scene where their naturally aspirated 500 cubic inch engines are making in excess of 1300 horsepower but cost over $50,000.00 to build. On the other hand you can build a 500 cubic inch Top Fuel engine that will make over 7000 horsepower for about $40,000.00. The difference is that it is way easier to make big power when you are not "limited" to the add ons you can use, i.e. superchargers, nitromethane, so on and so on. I realize that motorsports is not the same thing as shooting sports, but from a newbie on the outside looking in I see some of the same trends.

I hope I didn't bore y'all too much with my first post!

Welcome to the board, enjoy all the info out there. Theres a ton of it.

Good post, relates to limited class equiment race. The gunsmith I used to lighten my slide stated he does it more for reliabilty. Less weight in the slide the harder the slide will go back but then you can argue the opposite with spring weights. For me, it just plain and simple the look. I liked it.

Flyin40

Flyin40 originally posted...

For me, it just plain and simple the look. I liked it.

I agree with you on the above statement. I am currently debating on which gunsmith to use to build my Limited/Limited 10 gun and the three I have narrowed it down to are, Brazos Custom Guns, Virgil Tripp, or Benny Hill. Interestingly enough though, all three of them have very different thoughts on slide lightening and whether or not I should do it....Hmmmmm...decisions, decisions, decisions!