Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding a range that lets you shoot fast?

I have been shooting for almost 1 year now. I have went to a bunch of matches and enjoy them all very much.

I am running into a problem of finding a range that will let me shoot fast for practice and drawing from the holster.

I have 2 local ranges with 1/2 hour drive to me but both have a 1 second per shot rule. This is good just to keep up on my grip and general target shooting, but isn't doing it for me.

The only range I can practice at like I want to charges an extra 10 bucks to stay and use a bay after the USPSA match. I love this and try to make time each match that happens once a month.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? I do my dry fire practice at home, but the only time I get to shoot fast is at a match or at the 1 time per month practice session. I wish there was some place that I could practice how I want anytime.

Is there some search feature I am missing to find "action" range? I don't mind joining a club, or even driving an hour if I have to.

I live in lakeland, florida.

Thanks,

-Wayne

Check out USPSA matches in the Tampa area and possibly Orlando or Frostproof.

Any range that has USPSA matches usually will allow you to practice USPSA.

Quite a few near Tampa - one up in Brooksville (north of Tampa). :cheers:

p.s. if you find one near Lakeland, let us know.

Check out USPSA matches in the Tampa area and possibly Orlando or Frostproof.

Any range that has USPSA matches usually will allow you to practice USPSA.

Quite a few near Tampa - one up in Brooksville (north of Tampa). :cheers:

p.s. if you find one near Lakeland, let us know.

What is the name of the one in Brooksville, or is there a website with more info? Is it a public range, or do you have to become a member before doing USPSA type stuff?

I have run into this same problem as well. The local club I am a member of has similar rules. The outdoor ranges also only allow a single target frame and limits the target size to the size of a NRA B-6 50 yard bullseye target, (e.g uspsa metric target wont fit, haven't tried the classic targets). The frames can be placed on either the 25 yard line or 50 yard line. The club also has indoor range has mechanical carriers that go out to 50 ft. While we don't have a 1 shot per second rule there isn't much I can do other than group shooting or chronoing ammo. There is a draw from the holster qualification but its offered at inconvenient times once every month or so and you cant "fast draw". Also no muzzles above the berm, even though there a concrete baffles to prevent a round from "escaping". Hard to believe in the early 80s this club hosted the IPSC nationals twice. To add insult to injury, the club has RSOs that hover over you while shooting, you get double scrutiny if you look young(I'm 30). If you miss the target frame or hit the red outline on it your going home and probably will be brought on charges with the club which will result in a fine and/or possible suspension or loss of membership. The next closest club with real shooting bays is about 2 hours drive for me with no traffic ( probably closer to 3hrs with beach traffic in the summer). I think the wait list is close to 10 years to join that club (membership is capped, this is also the closest USPSA club to me). Got to love living in a USPSA/action shooting black hole.

Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol Club .... pmrpc.com

we have 7 bays in our action area & hold monthly Steel Challenge, USPSA, IDPA, 2-gun & SASS matches ....

once you are a member & take the 3 hr orientation to use the AA you're good to go every day 8am to sunset ..........

Edited by Nimitz