Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I legally make my own vest

vixty

i just got done reading the rules which state its illegal to modify a concealment garment with any kind of extra weight or extra material to stiffen up the garment. However, what if i make my own concealment garment? I have taken an old military uniform top and cut it into a vest and sewed it together to my liking while making the material thick to help with drawing and reloading. Would this be illegal?

I've seen more than one person run a cut up and customized BDU top as a vest. You've read the rules, don't do anything contravened in them and you'll be fine.

If you feel like you're "cheating" then ask yourself why you feel that way. If you don't feel that way, ask yourself if a reasonable and prudent person (or the worst SO you could run into) would have an issue with your new vest.

Get satisfactory answers, read the rule book again, check your conscious and be good to go.

This is an area where I love the saying, "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." Make your own vest and have three layers of fabric where most have two and I doubt anyone would even blink. Come to the line with 6 layers of fabric where most have two, or a panel of some material that is stiff sewn in such that your vest is deformed and hangs funny, then yeah, don't be surprised if someone tries to call you out.