Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaming the Barrel

ES13Raven

If you are handy with tools, a throat reamer isn't that expensive. Add a t-handle and some cutting oil and that is it and you can do multiple guns. The reamer is piloted, use plenty of cutting fluid, and just cut a bit at a time, and only turn the reamer in the direction of the cut or you dull it. You will not mess up your chamber as you are only cutting the throat/freebore.

This is sound advice.

Well my Springer 1911 is a jam o matic with short bullets. I reamed my CZ barrel for the exact reason that zen_grasshopper did.

Longer bullets tend to shift less in the magazine.

I found that using longer bullets with magazine that have extended basepads helps eliminate/reduce nosediving and sticking followers.

The funny thing is that I originally bought the Manson Reamer to fix the problems I was having with a Glock Stormlake barrel.

Edited by himurax13

I had a fellow shooter ream my TS 40 and love it. I am no longer having to load short now my shortest is 1.150 and I love 200gr bullets so I am no longer worried about pressure due to short bullets. The only restrictions are mag length and if it feeds and those are easy with no worries.

Accuracy is unchanged.

Now my CZ 9mms are next.

Short cartridges don't cause pressure problems. Taking a known load and reducing the OAL without reducing charge weight can cause pressure problems, but working up a charge with a "short" loading bullet isn't a problem. People are loading the 147gr truncated cone flat point bullets, such as you can get from BBI and Blue Bullets, right down to the mechanical limit of .300 from the case mouth without problem. People loading lighter bullets not as deep worry over nothing.

I wish I was loading light but the 200gr in my TS is nice. I was shooting 200gr BBI and it would puss at 1.133 oal so I loaded 1.120 oal and 4gr of WST, that is short. If I increased the load by 2 tenths would get some pressure jumps, flattened primers so I didn't go any farther. Now I can load the BBI to 1.175 oal and up to 4.5gr WST without any danger signs, I could probably go farther but I don't have to.

Shooting competition causes us to push the boundaries and reaming my barrel helped not only my load safety but my confidence.

I know some guys I shoot with are using 220gr bullets loaded out to 1.20 oal out of an 2011 and you should see how soft it looks. Of course those barrels are reamed for the sake of competition.