Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rest for a Glock Open (requires a Race Holster)

Austin111

My Glock 23 Gen4 modified into an Open was kicking like a mule. I discovered a way to tame it via a thumb-rest for the weak hand. I never could find 'just the right place' to park my thumb after draw. (Remember, Tested with my Race Holster only and needs a drop of Loctite Purple)

It is made by SJC (product shown with grip thread is a Version 1.1). I know it looks like a screw :roflol: BUT it tamed that mule. Fired 400 rounds of .40sw 180 yesterday and check out the results 15yards .avg 27 split times:

austin111-albums-glock23-evolution-pictu

Edited by Austin111

I think you have pretty large hands and that location of the rest may not be optimum for you. Your rest as I see it in your pic, forces you to work your grip around so your thumb will be on the rest which is imho the reverse of what should be.

Edited by BoyGlock

bowenbuilt

I ordered the

SJC GLOCK THUMB REST, DOWEL TYPE,

which is the plain smooth type appearing in SJC's photo. When it arrived, there were 2 in the box...the smooth one and the thread-like one (freebie without the cross-slide connection pin). I never even mounted the smooth one.

If you decide to order it, I would call them and ask about the threaded. It is non-slip and is not so extreme that you feel the grooves. Someone commented on the SJC site that they felt the recoil thru their thumb I shot 400 rounds an never felt it during or after.

I have a USPSA match tonight, I'll see what it is like "Under Pressure".

BoyGlock,

The grip photo is missing the strong-hand component of my normal grip. It was busy taking the photo. Thumb-rest lines up exactly where my weak-hand should settle.

On a G23 which is a small gun for my hands, I would occasionally rest my thumb on the slide....because of my massive hands, I would stop the slide from charging :mellow: (in reality the lighter recoil spring with any friction will stop the slide).

What the thumb-rest did is to stop the lateral movement, now I just wait for muzzle rise to reverse and prepare to fire next round. I can see from the concentration of "head shots hits" on the pic above, I'll have to delay trigger pull a bit.