Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please help me choose a division for this XDm

So when I decided to start shooting USPSA I already had a gun and belt setup. I never gave thought about minor vs major or divisions since I was just doing local steel nights and it didn't really matter.

What I have: XDm 9 / PRP trigger / extended mag button / grip tape.

So here's my question: I'm a mid pack shooter, but I don't want to hinder myself unnecessarily. If I shoot Limited will I be at too much of a disadvantage? Should I buy a couple more mag holders and shoot production?

Edited by Oilfieldmonkey

If long term your planning on branching out into 3 gun I would say slap a mag well on it and take the points hit in the USPSA Limited

If your only going to play pistol games I would just go Production

Or you could send it off to Springer Precision (or Canyon Creek if Rich is taking orders again) and have it turned into an Open gun.

Your current setup is ideal for production; however, that does not mean that limited minor would not be beneficial. You may take a disadvantage points wise shooting in limited, but you will be able to focus on shooting rather than reloading. Production requires a little more stage planning, a few more mags, and a little more precision. Use limited division to learn position entry/exit, confidence on steel/difficult shots, and basic stage planning. Once you have that down, focus on reloads & breaking down a stage for 10 round mags.

• 11 months later...

Your current setup is ideal for production; however, that does not mean that limited minor would not be beneficial. You may take a disadvantage points wise shooting in limited, but you will be able to focus on shooting rather than reloading. Production requires a little more stage planning, a few more mags, and a little more precision. Use limited division to learn position entry/exit, confidence on steel/difficult shots, and basic stage planning. Once you have that down, focus on reloads & breaking down a stage for 10 round mags.

Right on the mark. Beware the guy that shoots one gun.