Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blacking Out

infinity

My one and only AD to date (knock on wood) was the result of just such an experience. I was flying through a really open field course. Paper, in close. Zig, Zag, turret-shooting kind of stage. Was feeling jazzed because I was seeing the hits and I didn't fumble the mag changes. Got to the end and during Unload/Show Clear, I just hadn't come back to earth yet. So I f#$%$%'ed up the order of things and racked the slide before removing the mag. [ I know, I'm an idiot...]. Talk about waking up from 'unconscious mode'. Went to drop the hammer on empty chamber and 'Bang!'. That was a miserable moment, but thinking back on it, part of the problem was that I was not 100% conscious of what I was doing, I had also been moving and shooting faster that normal because I squadded up w. much better shooters, and was trying to keep up w. them. That was prob. my biggest mistake.

I had also been moving and shooting faster that normal because I squadded up w. much better shooters, and was trying to keep up w. them. That was prob. my biggest mistake.

This is, by far, the most common problem we encounter don't u guys agree?

I will sometimes hit the end of a course of fire and not remember a SINGLE site picture. That's when I know I wasn't observing, only operating at a subconscious level. When I do it properly, it is not to unlike a computer program. Like Brian, I use a visual queue at each target array (loading the program). I visualize the COF a number of times (check for bugs). When the buzzer goes off, the program executes. Since my subconscious knows what to do, I relax and let it do it. My conscious mind is only along for the ride. When something unexpected happens (mag malfunction, etc), my conscious mind steps in, makes a quick edit, and then off I go on autopilot again. That has saved my bacon a couple of times during virginia count stages with required reloads in certain places. Thank you, no, I don't want extra hits and extra shot penalties! I wish I always operated in that mode but for now, I hit it maybe 50% of the time.

When I drive, I can't remember the number of times I hit the brakes or the *thumb rest [generic]*. I see, then I either brake or speed up. I don't even need to look where the pedals are. I'm pretty sure I'm not blacking out. But the experience was definitely different when I first learned to drive.

Now if only I shoot and practice as often as I drive.... ;)

Guys,

I was just thinking that maybe the reason i'm experiencing the Blackingout thing is because of wrong habits that i got used to. and the only solution to this is trying to find and eliminate the wrong/bad habits...could this be possible or am i just missing something?!

thanks

To me, it sounds like you are blocking things out...classic concentration.

I want to be in a mode that allows input in...awareness.

This is exactly what happens to me, classic concentration. My shooting life started out on a junior rifle team, after eight years of that I went to smallbore Silhouette and shot that for 12 years. Both of these disciplines thrive on classic concentration. How do you move from classic concentration to a awareness mode, zone?

Great insight Flex!