Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 sticking badly

I finally broke down my 1050 to see what was causing it to stick on the down and up strokes. I had assumed that the problem was the powder funnel sticking or because I was using a u die. However it has progressively gotten worse in the 2 years I've been using this press and I had enough.

After tearing everything down and running the press basically naked with no shell plate or spring I found that the front "locator pin" - for lack of a better word - must be slightly bent. It is catching just as it enters, then kind of moves past the bend and gets easier to pull. On the up stroke it is smooth for the first 2" the gets tight again. Here is a crappy video shot by my 5yr old.

Anyone ever run into something like this? I'll call Dillion in the morning - just figured I'd check here first.

Chris

Just spoke to Dillon. Advice was to slightly tap the rod into place a little at a time with a small hammer. Sounds like it is going to be a slow and arduous task but I'll give it a go tonight.

I would remove the tool head and all the dies. Turn it upside down and clamp it down to a bench. Then use a square to check your progress.

Don’t forget that during the re-install on the main shaft. Lightly tighten the main bolt, lower the tool head all the way into the base before you put the torque on the main bolt. This makes sure the pins are properly aligned.

And I would probably use a block of wood and a hammer.

Edited by RonofVa

• 1 month later...

Just an update. I was never able to get the pin aligned so I just switched over to another tool head since I was under a time crunch. I am going to try to get Dillon to take a look and see if they can get it right since it was never straight to begin with. Frustrating, but I still love my 1050!