Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guy looking for suggestions/tips/advice

evilbeef54

Hey guys, had my 4th USPSA event today, this was my second time in Limited 10 (i shot my first two events in production before moving over to L10 2 weeks ago.) I would love any advice, suggestions, tips, techniques, critiques you guys are willing to provide. Thanks! Some notes of today

My wife got me a new Zev Stainless magwell and heavy brass plug for our anniversary 2 days ago and it was the first time shooting with it. I liked the weight of it, but i had a few issues since the extended base plates i ordered for the mags were apparently on backorder so there was a few times the mag didnt fully seat just right.

Also on run #1 i was the second guy to shoot it and we were all discussing how to best go about dealing with the array through the porthole since it was 2x 2 big poppers in front of each other that have a bit of a delay in falling. I tried to game it a little too much and tried to do a steel/paper/steel to let the first steel drop... this was a poor decision i know now, lol. It probably would have been faster/smoother to just do steel, pause steel, paper steel pause steel. with the reload on the way there at slide lock now going as smooth as i wanted and all the back and forth i through a shot let that get in my head for a second then threw two more. That sucked i know...

Any other advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

Reloads are costing you a lot of time. Practice getting your reloads done in one step. A great drill for this is to put a piece of tape on the floor, and then arrange smaller pieces around it, sort of like a clock. Start standing on the middle piece of tape with your sights on target and trigger prepped. When the buzzer goes off, drop your mag and perform a reload while stepping to the 1 o'clock position. Do a few reps at 1 o'clock, then move to 2 o'clock and so forth. This way you're working toward the ability to get a reload done while taking a single step in any direction. When you're moving between positions, this will allow you to get the reload done and then RUN to the next position instead of doing the classic "reload hobble" from position to position.

Reloads are costing you a lot of time. Practice getting your reloads done in one step. A great drill for this is to put a piece of tape on the floor, and then arrange smaller pieces around it, sort of like a clock. Start standing on the middle piece of tape with your sights on target and trigger prepped. When the buzzer goes off, drop your mag and perform a reload while stepping to the 1 o'clock position. Do a few reps at 1 o'clock, then move to 2 o'clock and so forth. This way you're working toward the ability to get a reload done while taking a single step in any direction. When you're moving between positions, this will allow you to get the reload done and then RUN to the next position instead of doing the classic "reload hobble" from position to position.

great thanks, I like that drill I will have to start working on that. I bought a dry fire practice book which I will also be starting to use a bit. My reload are typically way smoother than that, except the new mag well with stock length mags did me no favors there. I got some mag extenders so hopefully that will help, or at least until I break a mag like I did the other week. I have no idea how that happened one of my magazine with the extender did not want to drop free when I took it out I noticed a gouge where the mag release connects on the left side, always something to figure out. I will definitely be using that drill you told me I think that will help a lot Thanks.

Tune your load and gun to work optimally together and lots of trigger time. You looked good in the video.

thanks, still waiting on my new chrono to come back from the manufacturer I got a dud out of the box. once that gets in I will be able to tune my load a little bit better, for now I have been using data from others then the little bit of info I was able to collect from some loads.