Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

backup gun question

dghboy315

Those who may feel that 5.1.7.2 is a necessary component of 5.7.1 to keep competitors from engaging in the nefarious behavior of switching guns to suit a stage design, we have that rule in place already. It is 10.6.1.

If the ROs and RM are working together, as they should be, the rats engaging in this activity can be flushed out quite easily.

I have a completely different opinion. I feel that anytime 10.6.1 (DQ for USLC) is used as a FTDR...well, to me, that means the rule book has failed to address the issues.

We have a pretty well written, and mature, rule book. It covers the bases pretty well. I think that is as it should be. It tends to take most of the subjectivity away from the Match Director.

I think Troy (and others) has pointed out that the green book covers this pretty well.

I made a bigger issue out of this by going off my experiences regarding the red book...failing to research the new (and proper) green book. Made a mountain out of a mole hill. :wacko:

(Carmoney, that is my "safe area". :blink: )

Those who may feel that 5.1.7.2 is a necessary component of 5.7.1 to keep competitors from engaging in the nefarious behavior of switching guns to suit a stage design, we have that rule in place already. It is 10.6.1.

If the ROs and RM are working together, as they should be, the rats engaging in this activity can be flushed out quite easily.

I have a completely different opinion. I feel that anytime 10.6.1 (DQ for USLC) is used as a FTDR...well, to me, that means the rule book has failed to address the issues.

We have a pretty well written, and mature, rule book. It covers the bases pretty well. I think that is as it should be. It tends to take most of the subjectivity away from the Match Director.

I think Troy (and others) has pointed out that the green book covers this pretty well.

I made a bigger issue out of this by going off my experiences regarding the red book...failing to research the new (and proper) green book. Made a mountain out of a mole hill. :wacko:

(Carmoney, that is my "safe area". :blink: )

I see switching guns to suit a stage design as a clear case of dishonesty, at best, and cheating, at worse. Taking advantage of 5.7.1, and lying to match officials as to why you would be switching guns falls into these categories. I think 10.6.1 is not too harsh of a way to treat those who engage in this behavior.

Rather than take subjectivity away from the match officials, 5.7.1.2 gives them more.

If I had two guns at a match that satisfied the one division I was shooting and one had a competitive advantage over the other, I would be using it as primary and the other as back up. So hopefully rule 5.1.7.2 won't be a difficult call to make if it ever occurs. I see what you mean about a guy wanting to switch to a more favorable gun for a particular stage type. Never seen that happen though in my few years experience.

splashdown