Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

questions about building an open glock

librarian45

hey all, I sorta got this going in the open thread but I figured the glockiness aspect might get more traction over her.

I'm building a .40 glock for OPEN fun times, Probably a g22

I'll be shooting FACTORY 40 ammo (I don't reload and it's not in the cards anytime soon)

Here are some questions for those who have done/are doing it

1) Optic:

I'd like a fixed optic that does not ride on the slide (I have a g19 w RMR, i love it, but i don't wanna chase a moving optic in competition)

-Do people still use 30mm optics like comp m2s?

-Is there a reason for a newer open shooter to go with a 30mm, aimpoint micro, jpoint, c-more etc?

-Carver or SJC style?

-Is getting the optic as low as possible that important? does a big enough "window" make up the height difference?

2) Barrel:

-Should I use a comp or just a ported barrel?

3) Recoil spring

-I'll be using factory ammo, any advice on what weight recoil spring to start with?

4) Mag plates:

-I'll be using glock 22rd mags, which barely make 170mm, are there baseplates out there that can get me to 23rd? or that are just heavier for mag changes?

Have mercy on an OPEN noob

thanks!!!!

Edited by librarian45

Look in the Open Glock discussion. can find a lot of information in there and pics to give you ideas. Thats what i did when i built a open glock out of a 34. but to answer your question as far as mount carver ( cr speed holster but no frame modifications) sjc (more holster options but frame mods). Barrel: don't know if the 40 will work the comp efficiently. Spring: depends on the comp if you go that route. I use a 10 lb spring in mine with a carver 3 port comp but its also in 9mm. Baseplates: I like Taran Tactical. I have them on all of my comp mags.

Sorry to highjack the thread but seeing you are talking about extensions, I've got Taylor Freeland 170mm base pads but if I load the mags with more than 24+1 rounds, I get stovepipes.

Gun is setup as such

Lonewolf G34 Slide and G34 6 port barrel (2 ports out front, 4 up thru the slide cut out) with 11lb Spring and Stainless guide rod

Lonewolf Timberwolf Frame

ALG 6 Second Mount

Aimpoint T1 4MOA

Taylor Freelance 170mm magazines.

It seems like (in my mind) that there is to much upwards pressure on the slide with 25-27 rounds in the gun for it fully move back to eject. The rest of the rounds after the 25 feed perfectly fine, not weak at all and the slide slams home well.

Any suggestions? Maybe try to tune the springs in the mags a little? Leave them loaded and let them compress? They are a bitch to get all 27rds in so I think that may be part of the problem.

1) how does the 6-second mount work for a competition gun? i dig it, but it seems like it's just a carver mount that's $100 more.

2) You could tune your mags or just live with downloading, that's what I was doing with my TTI extended mags on the g17. The admin load was done with a maxed out mag. everything else was loaded to 22.

I built an open glock last season. I started with a 22 and put a kkm conversion barrel in for 9 mm major. My opinions;

Carver or sjc comp, 11 port sjc for .40.

Sjc mount for c- more. Mount allows more holster choices. Stay with as simple an optic as possible, otherwise you'll never find the dot in a hurry.

I like my Taylor freelance extensions.

I shoot a 14 lb uncaptured spring in 9mm major but would go with 17 lb in .40 for starters.

Good luck.