Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting rail section(s) to Carbon fiber handguard

dauntedfuture

ALCON,

I have an AP custom UL 15" handguard on my new 3G build. I want the ability to mount a bipod and or possibly a vertical grip on the rifle in a QD fashion if at all possible. To do this I would like to mount a short rail section on the bottom of the handguard close to the center. How might one suggest that I do this? I have no experience working with carbon fiber. I should think I could mount a rail section that AP sells on the bottom of the handguard by simply drilling a few holes in the bottom and mounting the rail section as opposed to through the slots in the handguard.. Any issues with this?

The bottom (6 o'clock) positions on both of my earlier generation AP Customs lightweight hand guards each have a row of slots to mount their rail sections. That said, I have problems doing that where I want because of interference from my gas block. The rail mounting screws protrude too far into the inner tube space. It's another reason I'll be retiring the AP gear on my competition rifle for middle of this season onward.

Not said already but a good gas mask is A MUST when cutting or drilling carbon fiber. That is some nasty stuff to get in your lungs as it stays there. If you do it yourself do it safely with the proper safety equipment or have it done by someone who knows how and has the proper gear

Not said already but a good gas mask is A MUST when cutting or drilling carbon fiber. That is some nasty stuff to get in your lungs as it stays there. If you do it yourself do it safely with the proper safety equipment or have it done by someone who knows how and has the proper gear

Absolutely right. I should have put that in my post. Wear a particle mask and continuously spray the area being drilled with water.

Absolutely right. I should have put that in my post. Wear a particle mask and continuously spray the area being drilled with water.

Not just a paper dust mask from HD. You really need a half face mask with removable cartridges. Watch some youtubes on how to check for fit as well. Throw the cartridges away when done!!!!! Use gloves to take them off and toss them and the gloves together. Then wash your mask in soapy water too. Change your clothes before you go in the house.

Put a little dish soap in the water that you're spraying on the drill as well, amended water is better for keeping the particulate down.

This is basically the same procedure used for small asbestos removal jobs. Should give you some idea of the risks involved. It's no joke what those fibers will do to your lungs, but you won't know it for 15 to 30 years.

Keep the kids and pets out of the room.

I'm not saying don't do it, just follow good safety practices. Just like eyes and ears at the range. Unfortunately the risk isn't as obvious.