Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA scoring small # of shooters vs. large #

TSOL

I shot a match last weekend and it seems like my total points and stage % went up form the last time I shot but one match had a total of 41 shooters and last weekends match only had 19 shooters. As I understand it (and I may be wrong) the scoring is based off the best shooters score, so last weekend the top shooter was at 620 points and 100% on the stages. The previous week the top shooter was at 547 and 100%. So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is would your score normally be higher with a bunch of other shooters or lower?

I'm trying to figure out if I really improved over my first match. I went from being 129.60 and 23.66% on my first match to 236.56 and 38.15% so it looks like I did better on my second match but we had half the number of shooters so did I really improve or did the lower number of shooters help me?

Thanks.

After i finished typing i realized you din't specify USPSA. This answer is for you if you are speaking about USPSA. I don't know IDPA, so if that is what you are shooting....I don't know.

You're trying to compare things that really have no relevance on each other. If you're only looking at the guy who won ( i'm assuming that since you say he got 100% ), and your score, its not really the same. Your score is based on the top shooter PER stage. You add your total points per stage and that is your match score. The guy who gets the most points wins the match, so you put him at 100%. So yes, you can compare, but it is very hard to tell if you did better or everyone else did worse if you just look at the winner. What were the total available match points? Did both matches have the same total points available? Lets say both matches had 700 match points available, in the first match the winner got 620 of 700 available points, and the second match the winner only got 547 of 700 available points. So technically the winner of the second match did worse than the winner of the first match. You on the other hand went up, so you technically did better from match one to match two. IF the available points were the same. IF the total available points were different, you have to start getting into ratios and % of total points available, then you can compare.

If you want to compare your performance from match to match, look at your performance. What was your Gross ( points shots ignoring penalties ) and Net ( points shot including penalties )? Did you percentages go up? Go down? ( this data is under your name in match performance on USPSA for that individual match )

You can go further and look at the your A's, C's, D's, M's. What is your % of A of total shots. Did it go up or down?

I think you get the point.

I shot a match last weekend and it seems like my total points and stage % went up form the last time I shot but one match had a total of 41 shooters and last weekends match only had 19 shooters. As I understand it (and I may be wrong) the scoring is based off the best shooters score, so last weekend the top shooter was at 620 points and 100% on the stages. The previous week the top shooter was at 547 and 100%. So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is would your score normally be higher with a bunch of other shooters or lower?

I'm trying to figure out if I really improved over my first match. I went from being 129.60 and 23.66% on my first match to 236.56 and 38.15% so it looks like I did better on my second match but we had half the number of shooters so did I really improve or did the lower number of shooters help me?

Thanks.

Might be more advantageous for you to compare your hit factor. That way you are comparing you against you and not you against the top shooter of the match.

Although, since the stages were different, you have to understand that comparing hit factor is not an absolute measurement.

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like I'm A.) worry about this perhaps a little too much after two matches and B.) and it's a little more complicated than just looking at my score from one match to the next especially when I'm only comparing two of them. I did look at my hit factor did go up on the second match, but again totally different stages so I guess it kind of comparing apples to oranges. I guess I'll shoot a few more and just monitor my scores to see where they go. I did feel like I shot better on my last match but it could also be I just felt a little more confident.

Thanks again.

Have you shot any classifiers yet?

There was supposed to be one stage that was a classifier last Saturday, but I was informed that since so many people were up at the Area 6 Pistol Championship match that they really didn't do the classifier. There is supposed to be one this weekend which I plan to shoot.