Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

okay, i guess I just ain't that smart

RWF

several years ago I was running a 18" WOA rifle length with a JP LMOS BCG. I tried taking a 1/2 oz out of the carbine buffer and it ran super soft. it just would not lock back when the mag went dry.

now I have a VOODOO lite barrel 16.25" with the rifle length gas system with a JPLMOS BC. and all the talk about new 4 oz BC's I thought I would try again to take some weight out of the carbine buffer. got the same result, very soft and ran great but will not lock back on empty mag. also in both cases I had the gas block set screw fully open to the point I was lucky it did not get blown out.

SOOO how does the AR DI platform run with a 4 oz BC?

side note. after I got hurt the WOA set up was way to heavy for me so I sold it.

thanks

For what it's worth my gun will not lock back if my magpul BAD lever loosens up and stops the mag catch from catching. Other than that why mess with taking weights out of the buffer when you can run the JP Silent capture spring or the taccom light weight buffer? Also some people have erratic issues if they did not line up their gasblock correctly with their gas port. I would take my gass block off and make double triple sure it is aligned correctly then I would go from there. If you have a misaligned gasport even at "full" gas you may be off by enough to not be able to correctly gas your system. Sine you're starting over just buy a JP upper and you can be guaranteed it is done correctly.

For what it's worth my gun will not lock back if my magpul BAD lever loosens up and stops the mag catch from catching. Other than that why mess with taking weights out of the buffer when you can run the JP Silent capture spring or the taccom light weight buffer? Also some people have erratic issues if they did not line up their gasblock correctly with their gas port. I would take my gass block off and make double triple sure it is aligned correctly then I would go from there. If you have a misaligned gasport even at "full" gas you may be off by enough to not be able to correctly gas your system. Sine you're starting over just buy a JP upper and you can be guaranteed it is done correctly.

my bolt release is the one piece phase 5. i already had a 2.48 oz buffer. so how would a taccom light weight work when a 2,48 oz buffer will not. i am sure the gas block placement is correct because the 16" rifle length upper is almost impossible stop it from running. the gas block set screw is just very short of being close

Are you using the same lower? I had a problem with an out of spec bolt catch plunger hitting the back side of the ambi bolt release. It stopped the bolt catch from coming up all the way.

yes Novseke sorry about the spelling. also try my black rain gen 3

Just a thought but rifle length gas systems are really not ideal for barrels less than 17". I know there are companies that make 16" rifle length gas systems but some consider that dwell time to be too short to properly run the DI system. If you were to combine that issue wtih a misalinged gasblock I can imagine a system that was under gassed. Also some guns jus do not like certain mags, make sure you have tried a selection of mags too be sure. i.e. magpul gen 2,3, colt aluminum mags etc.

I do agree with what u are saying about the rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel but this one has been unstoppable so far no matter the ammo or mag I use. but still wondering even when I had the 18" I could not use a lighter carbine buffer. no matter the recoil spring, be it JP ground, standard M4 or my favorite TUBBS flat wire spring.

I am assuming that u use a 4 oz BC so what did u do to make it work?

Change the phase 5 bolt release for a standard one and see what happens....

I have the same barrel with JP LMOS carrier and have no issues with bolt locking back on either TACCOM, std carbine buffer and gas set in the middle of the operating range...

Mick

Change the phase 5 bolt release for a standard one and see what happens....

I have the same barrel with JP LMOS carrier and have no issues with bolt locking back on either TACCOM, std carbine buffer and gas set in the middle of the operating range...

Mick

thanks, this is the kind of info i was wanting to learn. i do not use the "bad lever" so don't have any compare. the 1 piece phase 5 comes in at 0.75 oz's and the standard AR bolt release comes in at 0.42 ozs. i would have never thought to even look at that.

its just wild to me that the extra weight on the bolt release would be the issue.

thanks.