Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forming a Marksmanship Team

SSGJohnV

Sure by all means sell the idea of improved proficiency with small arms. I would def include 3 gun as the idea of your guys getting behind rifle and shotgun regularly might appeal to higher ups.

Ultimately though I believe the biggest selling points are:

Team building/morale booster for the whole division. It's great for the guys competing, and sharing pics/vids and results back to the division will increase their sense of pride too. :)

Public relations/recruitment excercise. Getting out amongst the civilians, showing them that the army supports activities like team shooting etc will no doubt improve relations between locals and your on base personnel and may entice some folk to sign up. :)

Sure sell the improved marksmanship aspect too but I feel selling that too hard may be taken as criticism of the current training levels. So tread carefully on that one. :)

• 4 months later...

Good luck with this. I hope you can make it happen but if I were the CG I would reference the AMU. I would also see Uspsa as totally outside the realm of having any real military value. The last thing I would want one of my soldiers to do is wade into 16 terrorists with a pistol. :)

Don't most grunts still carry rifles instead of pistols? What is it you want the CG to do?

I would probably just buy a TechWear shirt and put a big screaming eagle on the back of it and go represent the unit.

That doesn't mean that is the right answer. We have lost focus on the purpose and honestly of the sidearm. Any soldier being asked to clear rooms should have a sidearm as back up. POPs is getting soldiers killed. As for the original post, You need to brief as a benefit to DC for the tactical benefits of increasing weapon proficiency, showing the combat applications of competitive shooting. Also describing the cost saving of such a venture. When was the last time AMU came to you, or you sent someone to AMU. Get with 5th grp SFAUC committee, use them as a model. The issue will be travel expenses, weapon maintenance, ammo allocation, and always manning. Ultimately it is a tough sell. Getting units to allow soldiers to support the 10miler teams are hard enough. I agree with Sarge, buy a shirt start winning things representing the Division, and get lots of pictures then maybe the DC will care.