Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Joined the re-loading crowd today.

TDA

I bought a Square Deal B from Brian (thank you!) and got it set up and running.

Searched around a bit locally for powder and turned up a pound of Unique, a pound of Red Dot, and a friend gave me a bit of TiteGroup.

Loaded up ten of each using non coated 200g LSWC set to 1.250" OAL which puts the shoulder (lead) about .005" from contacting the chamber throat. .470" crimp. The loads were about in the middle of what the Lyman's manual shows for those bullets. (marked on the target)

Off to the range I went with my Remington R1 Enhanced and two injured middle fingers on my strong hand that were a bit tender.

Here are the results at 15 yards just standing and shooting. The upper right target is what I had been shooting (LAX reloads) and I shot five of them to see how my injured hand was going to affect my shooting. Had to lighten up and adjust my grip a bit...

They were shot in a clockwise rotation beginning in the upper right.

P4040629_zpsky9ace0e.jpg

The Red Dot felt pretty good, smoked a little and spit out a few glowing sparks from the muzzle.

The TiteGroup smoked about like the Red Dot and didn't seem to show much flame or sparks.

The Unique had the hardest felt recoil, smoked the most, and produced a decent size orange flame from the muzzle.

The high flyer on the Unique was all me...

I then shot the same order at 10 yards., which is pretty much meaningless, but I did it anyway.

Once again, the flyer on the Unique was all me!

P4040630_zpslozg2r5q.jpg

All in all, as far as accuracy goes, I don't know that I could really tell the difference, but I chose the Red Dot for further loading.

This is kind of fun!

Thanks!

Now I need a Chronograph...and a place to use it!

I also want to start reloading either .40 or 9mm. Can't decide which just yet.

Here is a 1992 Hercules (Aliant) catalog that I ran across last night that shows many more handgun loads than the information available from them now.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant/Hercules_1992.pdf

I've been keeping an eye open for some WST as I would really like to try some.

Right now Red Dot is working real well for me, but I did buy some Bullseye today just out of curiosity.

I was shooting lubed lead at first and dealing with smoke and minor lead fouling and just switched to Black Bullets coated 200g LSWC bullets and all is well.

I tried TiteGroup again yesterday and shot a doughnut around the center of the target at 15 yards. Got out the Red Dot loads and punched 25 rounds through the center of the target...

Red Dot is King so far!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats, and welcome to your new addiction!

No kidding!

I bought a second supposedly never used SDB set up for .40 S&W for a good price.

Now I will have one dedicated to large primer/.45, and a second dedicated to small primers for .40 and 9mm.

I bought a 9mm conversion kit and tool head earlier, and it seemed like every time I wanted to load 9mm it was set up for large primers and .45. Then when I needed to load .45 it was always set up for small primers and 9mm...

I'll end up with about 500 once fired small primer 45's. I have about 400 new Blazer Brass 45's to shoot, and have picked up about a hundred cases at the range, so I'm waiting to do a batch of them.

I haven't run across any Promo yet, but I'll try it if i do. Just bought some VV N310 and N320 to try.