Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EzWinScore and email

Vlad

I'm new at this scoring thing so I'm trying to figure out how to email out some scores. What I would like is the ability to get a list of email addresses of shooter from a match. As I use a web email client as opposed to Outlook or such other program that can be set as the default email client the Email button under the results tab is kinda not usefull. Even if I use Outlook or Thunderbird, how configured do they have to be, do I really have to set up email account? I'm hoping that when I click Send Email in EzWin it doesnt actually try to send email but it just creates a message.

So .. Am I crazy? Is there a button I missed? Whats the right thing to do here?

What the heck is this thing trying to do? When trying to email out results even through a default mail program EzWin start generating an infinite number of the following errors in a "microsoft mail" error window:

Error Resolving Name(s)

The name(s) not underlined were unresolveble

It seems that it starts up the default mail program but then calls some windows services to resolve the hostnames? Does anyone have a manual that actually explains what EzWin actually does versus what it says it does?

Never mind. I found a way. It seems that it creates a temp file containing all the addresses. However even with outlook it doesnt generate a usefull mail message. With the addresses and the exported scores I can be happy.

What the heck is this thing trying to do? When trying to email out results even through a default mail program EzWin start generating an infinite number of the following errors in a "microsoft mail" error window:

Error Resolving Name(s)

It seems that it starts up the default mail program but then calls some windows services to resolve the hostnames? Does anyone have a manual that actually explains what EzWin actually does versus what it says it does?

You had an invalid email address in amongst your registered competitors. (i.e. wgnoyes@bellsouth,net [note the comma] as opposed to wgnoyes@bellsouth.net). When you have that, outlook send services tries to resolve the domain name of the mail server. When you get this, best thing to do is to cancel out, correct the email address, and try again. Also, you are better off having outlook (or whatever your email client is) already started and running before beginning the email exercise.

This honestly isn't one of the swiftest features of ezwinscore and I maintain external email lists to which we send match results. Its also possible to go in the backdoor to the competitors list via an external database program like MS Access, extract your emails that way, and just copy/paste them into the 'To' box of your email.

Well, it sound right exept that there were no broken addresses, and this error was generated when Thunderbird was my default mail program. In fact after I configured Outlook and started it before EzWin, it gave me notifications that some program was trying to send mail and asked for permission, but the list of addresses it saw was a long string of ";;;;;;" so I don't know. I guess that blank email addresses would be wrong format. However the fact that it saves a temp addr file is very usefull and I use the data from that. I didnt want to use Outlook anyway.

In fact, if I may make a sugestion, exporting the email addresses of the shooters in a match might be easier for everyone anyway. That way they can paste that into their favorite mail software and attach the exported results. So whatever bug fixes show up in the next version, at least keep that temp file around so I can get the address without hassle or have an export button for them.

thanx

I just went into a match and hit the space bar 3 times for a given competitor, saved it, then went to run email, and got the resolution error. So spaces for the email is considered a broken email address. That means the email field must either have a valid address in it, or nothing at all. One or more blanks is NOT nothing as far as the program is concerned.

Please pass your suggestion on to roger@uspsa.org. He's official support for ezwinscore, not me. I just hang around and answer questions about it. :)

There is a second "problem" with the e-mail function in EZ. At least to my way of thinking.

You can't group all the files you want to send, that is, when you hit e-ail, it is only the current live result that is posted. So, what I have done is to Hit send E-mail, then grab the email list that is created and stored in the destination folder, open it in word, verify that there are no bogus addresses, then I paste that into the e-mail and attach all the files that I want to send.

This is VERY convoluted. If this were fixed EZ would be a lot more EZ!

While fixing this it would also be nice to be able to grab individual addresses complete for mailing. As it stands now, you have to preint the entire match worth of mailing labels.

Jim

PS, Vlad, thanks for doing the scores!

I have just installed Bugzilla at www.uspsa.org/bugzilla to track bug reports and feature requests. I haven't briefed HQ on the system yet (I'll do that sometime during the week), however, the system is now accepting bug reports. Feel free to give it a try.

Bugzilla is a very popular open source bug tracking program which should give us the flexibility to track issues on various software projects related to USPSA.

Rob

• 11 months later...

Error Resolving Name(s)

You had an invalid email address in amongst your registered competitors. (i.e. wgnoyes@bellsouth,net [note the comma] as opposed to wgnoyes@bellsouth.net). When you have that, outlook send services tries to resolve the domain name of the mail server. When you get this, best thing to do is to cancel out, correct the email address, and try again. Also, you are better off having outlook (or whatever your email client is) already started and running before beginning the email exercise.

This honestly isn't one of the swiftest features of ezwinscore and I maintain external email lists to which we send match results. Its also possible to go in the backdoor to the competitors list via an external database program like MS Access, extract your emails that way, and just copy/paste them into the 'To' box of your email.

Error Resolving Name(s)

Can you give me any information on using the MS Access / backdoor to EZ WinScore you mentioned. I can't seem to get them to import.

Thanks

Guys,

Once I saw how convoluted the emailer was in EZ, I just quit using it. I have a list of shooters that I keep as a mail group in hotmail. When I finish with the scores and go to the results page, I just make text messages out of every stage, and the finals. In hotmail, I use the mass mailing list in the BCC list so everyone doesn't see everyone elses address and attach the text files.

An alternate way is to go ahead and up load the match to the USPSA site and send everyone who shot the match an email telling them the scores are up.

Vlad, as Mr. Noyes said, "This honestly isn't one of the swiftest features of ezwinscore and I maintain external email lists to which we send match results."

There are ways to get the scores out and I'm sure everyone appreciates your work there as well.

Works for me....

dj

Well, USPSA and Rob Boudrie have a feature in place now for USPSA match uploading where the system looks at USPSA numbers of competitors in a match when it is uploaded, and if the member has set his email address in his profile under the members' area of uspsa.org, he'll get an email notification that a new score of his has been posted.