Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KB's chambering ...rechambering

LAkid

One last cause of "blowups:" The simple chambering and rechambering of a cartridge does push the bullet back into its case. XXXXX XXXXX XXX of Austria (at the request of GLOCK, Inc.) determined that, with a .40 caliber cartridge, pushing the bullet back into the case 1/10 of an inch doubled the chamber pressure. This is higher than a proof load. This "push back" can occur with but one chambering since it is dependent on how well the case was crimped or sealed to the bullet. How many of us regularly chamber and rechamber the first two rounds of our carry loads? (Also, this chambering and ejecting chews up the case rim, which can cause a malfunction. If you are limited to how much ammo you are issued, after cycling the first two rounds a few times, strip the magazine and load these two rounds first so they are the last up in the stick.)

A comparison of the amount of casehead support in three different Glock chamberings, (left-right): 9 X 19mm, 357 SIG and .40 S&W. Surprisingly, the 357 SIG offers the fullest support of the three.

I own a glock 35 anythiing is this anything to be concerned about??

LAkid :unsure:

I've seen 5 different brands of 40cal case let the bullet slip back when loaded on a Dillon press and using .400" jacketed bullets. Lead bullets don't seem to do this.

There is an issue with the Dillon expander funnel. It's too big. My $.02.

I've had very good luck with nickel-plated once-fired brass from brassmanbrass.com. It's a little thicker and doesn't allow push-back. And it's still very inexpensive [compared to 38super brass]. Haven't tried jacketed bullets at size .401" but would like to hear if someone has.

Guest Larry Cazes

Crimp has very little effect on case neck/bullet tension. Resize with an undersized EGW U resizing die and the bullet "setback" will not be a problem on your loaded rounds. Been loading .40SW for years with this setup and setback is just about non existant.