Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 18.9 Chambered Round and Stuck Slde

altabonita

I got a Para 18.9 today and went to the range to try it out. My first impressions are favorable. However, this is my first 1911/2011 gun so I don't have much trigger time with similar guns. I have mostly used Glocks in the past.

Anyway, a few times a round would chamber but the trigger would not engage and the slide would be stuck closed. I was only able to eject the round by holding the slide in my left hand and punching the back of the grip with my palm. It would take a couple of punches but the round would eventually eject.

The last time the case ejected and left the bullet in the chamber. As this is my first experience with a 1911/2011, I am not sure if the problem is the gun or the ammo. I was shooting 147gr Freedom Munitions ammo.

Anyone have any idea what causes this to happen?

Sounds like you have a tight/short chamber. What is the OAL of the round? Try disassembling the gun and with the barrel free, drop a round in the chamber and see how easily it drops in or if it has to be forced. My buddy had an PC 18.9 that was very tight. Luckily we were at my gunsmith getting a trigger job done on it and he saw that. He opened it up with a reamer and its runs well now. And he got a 2lb trigger that day...lol His chamber was way too tight. My PC 18.9 was OK but on the tight side so I had it done too so i can load bullets long.

Edited by telecat

Coated bullets won't chamber in my PC18.9 past about 1.10" so I am having my barrel throated. You are probably seeing a similar issue. Round nose jacketed ammo has no problem out to 1.15".

Edited by bwikel

Sounds like you have a tight/short chamber. What is the OAL of the round? Try disassembling the gun and with the barrel free, drop a round in the chamber and see how easily it drops in or if it has to be forced. My buddy had an PC 18.9 that was very tight. Luckily we were at my gunsmith getting a trigger job done on it and he saw that. He opened it up with a reamer and its runs well now. And he got a 2lb trigger that day...lol His chamber was way too tight. My PC 18.9 was OK but on the tight side so I had it done too so i can load bullets long.

Is your gunsmith up there in Greenville? If you have someone local that's experienced with the Para 18.9 I may have mine reamed as I normally shoot Bayou and noticed I need to load them shorter for the Para.

I had the same issue and had the throat reamed by Rich at Canyon Creek. Now it will feed up 1.150 with no issues. Unfortunately my XDM will only accept up to 1.125, so I load all my ammo to that length now. That way all ammo works in all my 9mm's