Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automated press for the recreational shooter?

Smeeg

I've been looking at automated presses for the recreational shooter and it seems like there's a gap in presses in the market it goes from an aututodrive bullet feeder 1050 roughly $3,000 and then jumps to something like a Camdex roughly $30k. Why isn't there a 3-5k automated press right out of the box? That was designed to be automated from the factory.

Is there something like this on the market I missed?

Edited by Smeeg

Nope. I hate to say it, but the average recreational shooter will not have the time, patience, and knowledge it takes to run an automated system. I say that from having run a commercial reloading company with 3 of the converted 1050s and two camdexes.......

The most they need is a 1050 with a bulletfeeder and someone to roll size their brass...

DougC

You can get an auto drive for a 650, but for a recreational shooter I wouldn't see the need for it. Unless you're loading 6-8k rounds a month there's nothing wrong with pulling a handle for 2k rounds a month. Get a case feeder and bullet feeder and you'll have what you need to keep you running.

The problem with an automated 1050 or 650 is you still have to sit there and watch it to ensure qc. Ideally you want something designed to be auto from scratch that will include things like a station that weighs or otherwise properly checks the dispensed powder charges. I thought there were versions of a camdex or perhaps star? That were around $10k but I could be way off.

I guess my point is for true automation you need some comprehensive qc measures built in. For someone just loading for their own shooting even a pro shooter can happily manage with a 650 or 1050 equipped with case and bullet feeder and probably a roll sizer to pre process brass.

The problem with an automated 1050 or 650 is you still have to sit there and watch it to ensure qc. Ideally you want something designed to be auto from scratch that will include things like a station that weighs or otherwise properly checks the dispensed powder charges.

I automated mine so I didn't have to sit there and watch it, it would be useless to me if that were the case. I did wire into the PC die so it checks powder charges though.

Edited by jmorris

Yes, much like the Camdex except it just runs out slower because it loads slower.

While its loading I start the Dillon primer tube filler and add cases/bullets to the collators as they need them. If I am in the room and notice it is about out I can add primers while it's loading and it runs continuous. It actually loads slower than I can load manually, well in 100 round batches but you can do other things while it is loading. For example it takes just as long to load the rounds as it does to casegauge and box them, so if I do that while it is loading I just cut the time spent in half.

damnit! I wanted so bad to find something wrong in your amazing kit, but of course, there isn't anything lol.

I really wish I had someone like you in my neighborhood...the cool stuff that could be put together would be amazing.